Maxtor External Hard Drive Troubleshooting!

By lafilip
Jun 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

Here is my situation: I have an external Maxtor one touch 200 gig hard drive that I connect to my work laptop. I plugged in my external hard drive via USB cable and booted up my laptop. I hadn't realized that I left my hard drive on. I received a Windows XP screen that appeared to be analyzing my drive, when I saw the line of text about writing or failing to find I boot sector I immediately cut power to the external hard drive. Now every time I load Windows my F: drive appears(external hard drive) but when I try to access data, it says the drive is not functional or inaccessible.

Below are my specs of my machine:

System: Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version2002
    Service Pack 2

Processor: 2.00ghz
    1.00 GB of Ram.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Louis
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

Are you trying to boot off of the external hard drive?
  3. lafilip

lafilip Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I was not, but since I had it turned on while I was booting my laptop I think Windows thought I was....I have no operating system installed on my external.
  4. fastco

Just change the boot sequence in the laptop bios so it does IDE-0 or hard drive first, then Optical or cd-rom drive second or else every time you start your computer with the usb drive attached, the computer will look to boot off of it.
  5. lafilip

Thanks for the info. I will do this. But as far as the data is concerned have I lost that for good then?
  6. fastco

You should be able to access the info once Windows has started, through windows explorer. Hopefully... It hasn't been formatted or anything, has it?
  7. lafilip

[​IMG]

This is what I see inside explorer....
  8. lafilip

Any suggestions anyone?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.