MB does not recognize SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

B0rb0rigmus

Hey everyone, I think I may have a stumper for you. I don't know if this HD was DOA or if I'm an *****. :confused:

I was installing XP onto a new HD on Friday and it told me that It cannot see the HD. No surprise there since this has been covered many times. So after I go and try loading the drivers from the floppy, I decide to go into the BIOS and see if there's something I forgot to do in there.

Well, the BIOS don't even see the HD. I'm still a n00b at this so there's a good chance that I simply don't know what I'm doing.

Here's my system specs if you need them:

Abit NF7-S V2.0 nForce2 400MHz Motherboard / BIOS Version 25 (I believe)
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2GHz) 400FSB Socket A Processor (Barton Core)
Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA U150 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
512mb DDR PC3200 DDR400 2.6V
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP Video Card 4x/8x
Lite-On 52X32X52 CDRW/DVD +16X Combo
Thermaltake VOLCANO 11+ Socket A CPU Fan
350W Antec Power Supply

I would appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thanks in advance!! :wave:

I take it you loaded the SATA drivers from floppy early in the install process...not after the fact?

Ok..so , in effect, you have an OS ?? or you dont??..there,s 3 common SATA drivers used..Promise, Silicon Image and VIA...what does your Northbtidge want?? Have you checked the Mobo oem site?

Also..you might double check the SATA cable to the mobo bus...;) ( i see theres a post clock here..bummer!)

No, there is no OS yet. I just downloaded the newest BIOS version onto a floppy. Will I be able to load this onto the MoBo? I'm checking now at Abit's site to see which driver is needed.

I,d be REAL careful with that if I were you..the problem isnt your Bios..and if you pooch it..you,ll have a mobo for a wall decoration...

Hey thanks, I'll nix that idea right here then. I guess I'll just return this one and stick with an IDE HDD.

Thanks!

I wouldnt do that!!..SATA is the way to go..just find out what the Northbridge chipset is and load the appropriate SATA driver at install...if you watch on the "taskbar" as you,re loading XP..you,ll see a prompt (f6 usually) to load SATA drivers...go from there..have the floppy ready...{i,m off to work now....good luck,man}

DONE!!!!! Dude, thank you for telling me not to give in. I came home and tried it one more time. Just to check and see if I forgot anything or missed something. BAM!!! Right there in the BIOS, plain as freakin' day. I'm typing to you on the new PC that I put together myself.

Thanks again, now my wife will not be so quick to think of me as an ***** for the rest of the day.

i have the exact same problem. any details on how the problem was solved? it seems like i have tried everything and am out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back