MB won't boot windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

Hey I just had a motherboard on my old computer go out so I decided to replace it and got a Foxconn K8S755A-6ELRS from newegg but after I installed it, it just says error loading operating system before the windows loading screen so I decided maybe I should just reinstall windows so I put the cd in booted from cd and it works fine until it says entering windows setup at the bottom of the blue screen, after that it just restarts. Here are the specs they are in my profile but since you are taking your time to read this I won't make you go and there and have to look at them.

CPU- AMD Athlon 3200+ clawhammer
Motherboard- foxconn K8S755A-6ELRS
Hard Drive- 160 hatachi hard drive (IDE)
RAM- 1 GB Rosewill pc 2700
Video Card- Evga Geforce 6800

Thanks for reading this and please help.

Ive had this problem many many times. Even though i still dont know the exact problem or way to fix it, i still get it done. I think what it may have been was the way the hard drive was connected to the strip and which slot of the motherboard it was in, i just mixed it up a bit and it eventually worked. hope that helps.

What this means is that the new MoBo cannot read the HDD. Check if the POST can detect and read the HDD. Let's take it from there.

POST = Power On Self Test

When you start your comp, the first thing BIOS does is test your hardware. The results are displayed (unless you select in your BIOS to skip POST or use a splash screen to hide the POST output.)

Watch and see what the results say.

My next hypothesis then is that the new MoBo cannot read the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the default HDD. Check BIOS and see if there are any HDD options and repost with what it says.

Go into BIOS and select "reset to defaults" (or something like that.)

Then try booting to the XP installation CD. Go into Recovery Console. See if you can access the HDD (get a "c:\")

Wow I switched all the defaults and then switched the order of boot device so I could boot from device, it would never give me the option, then when I booted from the cd I actully made the recovery console page, before my coputer would just restart so I least we are making progress. So if there is nothing I want on that hard drive would it be ok to go ahead and install windows or should I still do recovery.

By booting to the installation CD, you have bypassed the internal HDD.

Were you able to get a "c:\"? I presume so. If so, run a chkdsk as follows:

c:\> chkdsk /r

This will check and fix the filesystem. Repost with results.

ok thats not much a of big deall really just the time that bothers me thanks for your help though I don't know what I did in BIOS to make it restart before it gave me the option of entering xp setup.

ok now when start to install windows I get to formating the unpartioned space but then before it finishes it restarts. Any other ideas

That's because you need to REINSTALL windows. You cannot reuse windows on your hardrive. When you swap motherboards or change computers or do a significant amount of hardware upgrades, you need to reinstall windows. Windows is licensed and configured for only one motherboard at a time.

Untrue. I've swapped computers completely. AMD Athlon 64 to Pentium III. Gigabyte Motherboard to Intel. But often, there can be complications.

C_Conqueror said:
ok now when start to install windows I get to formating the unpartioned space but then before it finishes it restarts. Any other ideas

This now means your HDD is flacky. Either swap it or have it tested at a comp store.

beef_jerky4104 said:
Untrue. I've swapped computers completely. AMD Athlon 64 to Pentium III. Gigabyte Motherboard to Intel. But often, there can be complications.
Windows ALLWAYS must be reinstalled when swapping motherboards or changing a lot of components, or swapping hard drives into a new system. This is for several reasons.

1. You are licensed to run windows XP on 1 system or motherboard at a time.

2. Windows configures itself by serial # and components for the system it was installed on.

So your statement is completely false.

While windows may boot with a cloned motherboard exchange -

1. you are in violation of the license agreement
2. Sooner or later you will run into configuration issues.

Before you condemn the drive, download the manufacturers diagnostics onto a floppy and run them on the drive. If necessary do a low level format - if it takes this it is probably OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back