TechSpot

McAfee?

By Chivas
May 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, what's your opinion on it? I have a Toshiba LapTop with this antivirus, however the 60 day trial expired... should I buy it or just uninstall it and install AVG and other antivirus?

If I uninstall it... is there a tool or something to make everything from it is removed?

Thanks.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

3. LonM

LonM TS Rookie

McAfee removal?

I have installed AVG and have slowed the machine down considerably, this computer had a trial version of McAfee installed on it (Dell). Is there any specific removal tools for McAfee?
    Thanks for anyones help
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

get rid of it and install a free antivirus like AVG or norton corporate (if you're a Federal employee), or Kaparsky.

No need to pay for an anti-virus. That's foolish when there are free ones out there.

never install more than 1 antivirus at a time.

USE CCleaner to get rid of programs and repair your registry- also free.
  5. Aolish

Aolish TS Enthusiast Posts: 216

tis so true, paying for virus definitions is just appalling to me. :blackeye: AVG FTW! :bounce: I always get many people saying 'I'd rather buy one then get a free one, you get what you paid for" But in the case of AV software all paid and FREE ones aren't perfect at all. I don't think there are any benefits between a paid one (like norton) and free one (like avg), except for the massive bloat resource drainage that is Norton if you consider that a benefit. :rolleyes: Just as long you keep your AV up to date (free or paid) your good to go! :)
  6. matt2971

matt2971 TS Rookie Posts: 32

As much as I hate most commercial software, and love all teh fantastic freeware out there, I do use McAfee for my AV. That said, it's the VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 that we have at work, and I think perhaps that the home editions are a lot different full of bloat and the like....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.