McDonald's Sweden's Happy Meal box transforms into VR headset

Scorpus

Staff member

Forget the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift: McDonald's Sweden will soon have everything you need for an excellent virtual reality experience. The company is launching a new version of the Happy Meal box that can transform into a virtual reality headset, which they're calling "Happy Goggles", complete with an in-house VR skiing game.

Happy Goggles will only be available in a handful of stores in a trial run: 14 restaurants are participating, and will sell 3,500 convertible Happy Meal boxes on the weekends of March 5 and March 12. To get the headset you'll have to fork out around US$4.10, which is the typical price of a Happy Meal in Sweden.

Similar to Google Cardboard, McDonald's VR headset requires you to insert a smartphone into the completed cardboard creation, which is (understandably) not included. However the construction process appears to be pretty simple, and it includes a pair of lenses.

Happy Goggles have been created to tie in with Sportlov, a school holiday that allows children to go skiing in the country's numerous winter sports destinations. The game that accompanies the headset is called "Slope Stars", and will work without a VR headset for those that don't have access to one, or with an alternate set such as Cardboard.

If the headset becomes a hit, there's a chance McDonald's will roll it out to a wider audience, potentially to other countries. Considering Google Cardboard and its alternatives typically cost more than a standard Happy Meal, it could be a great way to bring simple VR experiences to the masses.

Permalink to story.

If you could play Borderlands using that box it would seem like a match made in heaven trans fats
HFj7Dih.jpg

Last edited:
About time they revived the happy meal, they used to be cool. Either that or I grew up....

On a serious note it's a great way to have kids fall out of chairs, knock drinks over, trip up adults etc. in the 'restaurant'.

About time they revived the happy meal, they used to be cool. Either that or I grew up....

On a serious note it's a great way to have kids fall out of chairs, knock drinks over, trip up adults etc. in the 'restaurant'.

What do you mean about reviving it, they still popular here as ever. Yes the toy is pants but it supposed to be just something to shut the kids up whilst you eat :D

What do you mean about reviving it, they still popular here as ever. Yes the toy is pants but it supposed to be just something to shut the kids up whilst you eat :D

There was a hint of sarcasm to my post, however I do agree with you and they (Happy Meals) tend to work!

I looked it up, Ikea sells Scandinavian furniture kits, McDonald's sells hamburgers from Argentina.

Back