ME and XP

By R A Williams
Jun 12, 2007
  1. I have Compaq 500 Desktop with ME.
    I think Win XP falure to load. it has been removed.
    on Bootup I have a window to select <Windows XP Setup>
    or Windows which is ME and loads perfect.
    I want to remove the <Windows XP Setup>
    So ME will boot without selecting.
    Need step by step help........jr
  2. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

It is a bad idea to put your email for display on a website. If you can't take the time to post then don't.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You should have a boot.ini file in C: left over from the XP install. Edit it and delete the Windows XP setup line.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Or if you get scared removing stuff from boot.ini you can change the timeout from 30 to 0 (only do this if ME is the default).
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

why on earth would you want ME? It's absolute crap and the worst OS M$ ever published!
  6. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 412

What's so bad about it?
  7. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

Besides constant BSOD's, OS instability, file corruption, lack of security, etc...?
  8. SNGX1275

There were some hardwares that it ran fine on. I ran it for a couple years on a Pentium 2 300 machine with 160 megs of ram just fine. Had no more BSODs and lockups than you'd expect on a decent 98se install.
  9. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Well SNG you stand to prove many points inadvertantly here, you had it on a pentium 2, enough said, lets get some xp or better in here for this guys. lol
  10. SNGX1275

I think that Compaq 500 is a Pentium III 500 with 96 megs of RAM and an 8GB hard drive. XP might not have been the brightest move. Perhaps 2000 IF ME was giving him fits. But ME might have ran just fine on it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.