Me dummy

By belle57
Jul 13, 2008
  1. hello my name is belle and I am not very good with computers maybe it's my age
    I recently bought a compaq presario SR540AN desktop 360GB -3GB RAM and am not sure what else. Iwas assured that it was top of the line with the new flash windows vista my children and I feel that we have been ripped off as it will not play our sims 2 could you please possibly help us thankyou belle.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Hi belle57 :wave: , welcome to TechSpot

This type of question belongs in the Games forum as technical support is not normally provided in the Introduce yourself forum (ie this one)

I will say that sims 2 and other games, can have video incompatability issues with some computers, so it may be best to write your System Specs in your Profile (just click on profile, and move the page down to write as much known info as possible) before creating another new thread
  3. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

Hi, Belle. I'm glad to see you here. I tried to look up your computer's specifications on the HP Compaq site and didn't have any luck. They do have a place in Support where you can enter your computer's model and number, and it will give you a list of the components that you can copy and paste. Your question would be good for the gaming section. There's a lot of gamers there who could tell you what you might need for your computer.

As far as getting ripped off goes, I have misgivings about the "buyer beware" philosophy because it places the blame on the buyer instead of the person who really deserves to be blamed--the salesman, who is often the perpetrator--out to make a sale instead of really understanding what you need and directing you where you really need to look--even if it means missing a sale. I'm often an idealist and that's why I'd never make it in sales.

If you can't find the place in HP Support to get a list of your computer's components, there is a short list that you can fill out if you can find your owner's manual.

Power Supply Unit
    Video (on board--that means part of the motherboard, or video card--a separate card mounted away from the motherboard)
    Audio (on board or video card)
    hard disk

That will give the gamers a very good start.

Good luck!

The kitties, Boris and Bailey, say hi!
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.