Media Player 11 on Vista Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently purchased a new Dell laptop and have noticed that my music starts to stutter for a few seconds about 20 seconds from the end of the song. This happens to every song I play. Also, it is the only programme I am using at the time too. Could anyone please help?

I have given details of the software and hardware involved:

Windows Vista
Windows Media Player 11
Dell Inspiron 9400: Core 2 Duo Processor T5300 (1.73GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2Mb Cache)
Memory - 1024MB (2x512) 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM

First thing, go to www.dell.com and click on technical support, then enter the service tag of your computer. They have 56 downloads and drivers listed for that laptop, with some released as recently as one month ago. Upgrade your BIOS which was changed on April 11, 2007 if you have not already done so.
Be sure to download all drivers for Audio listed... and all for optical drives.
Then go to your Device Manager within Hardware in System of the Control Panel and either disable or remove your existing audio drivers. After that, install the replacement driver you have downloaded.
If it is a hardware problem, these changes may fix it.
If the stuttering occurs with songs played on a CD or DVD, and this doesn't fix it, get Dell to replace the optical drive under warrant.

I actually have the same problem on my system. Audio stutters under Vista no matter what app or file format. I have a Creative X-Fi Platinum; the vista drivers are still immature for this card. I also have XP installed on another drive and it works fine under XP.

I have heard that a lot of ppl are having audio issues with Vista because of the way it handles audio hardware. Basically, Vista won't let the drivers have full *uncontrolled* access to all of the hardware features on a lot of (all?) cards. Supposed to have something to do with DRM.

Yet another reason Vista sucks and DRM should be abolished.

But yeah, I would also try upgrading the drivers as was explained above.

Microsoft says all the manufacturers have agreed to update their drivers, and is just awaiting final testing on the revisions.

Thanks for the help. Tried the new downloads, but no joy with Media Player. However, I-Tunes works ok, so will use that from now on.

Cheers

I am having exactly the same problem on my Dell laptop under Windows Vista Business and using Windows Media Player. Has anyone been able to come up with a fix for this problem? Is this just a WMP problem that is fixed by using iTunes or some other player?
thanks
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back