Media Player Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I'm a newbie. I was doing some work on my Dell laptop today, trying to get things cleaned up and moving a bit more quickly. I realized like I have about 15 bajillion media players, and I don't know why or which ones I need. I don't know if they're all the same or if they serve different functions, so I'll just throw some out there, and if you guys could give me some advice on what to keep and what I can safely dispose of, I'd appreciate it tons!

iTunes - what I use primarily
Creative MediaSource 5 - I opened this for the first time about 5 minutes ago, and I've had my laptop for almost 2 years.
Dell MediaDirect
RealPlayer
Roxio... - There's about 10 Roxio programs in the list.
Sopcast
VLC - I use this instead of Windows Media
Windows Media Player, obviously. Don't think there's much I can do about that.
Windows Media Center? wtf?
Viewpoint Media Player - I use AIM, so I have to keep this, right?
Quicktime Player

Then there's things that I assume I have to keep but have no idea what they are. They just sound sort of media-related.
SigmaTel Audio
Sound Blaster Audigy
ATI Catalyst Control Center Ex

Hey guys! I'm a newbie. I was doing some work on my Dell laptop today, trying to get things cleaned up and moving a bit more quickly. I realized like I have about 15 bajillion media players, and I don't know why or which ones I need. I don't know if they're all the same or if they serve different functions, so I'll just throw some out there, and if you guys could give me some advice on what to keep and what I can safely dispose of, I'd appreciate it tons!

iTunes - what I use primarily
Creative MediaSource 5 - I opened this for the first time about 5 minutes ago, and I've had my laptop for almost 2 years.
never heard of it. sounds like you never use. Remove it
Dell MediaDirect - Remove it
RealPlayer - Remove it
Roxio... - There's about 10 Roxio programs in the list.(Don't know if you use anything special from Roxio. If not, remove it
Sopcast - Never heard of it. probably remove it
VLC - I use this instead of Windows Media (VLC is wayy handy, keep of course)
Windows Media Player, obviously. Don't think there's much I can do about that.
Windows Media Center? wtf?
Are you running XP? As sounds like you're using a version of XP called "XP Media Center Edition". Don't know if you can do this in XP MCE. Check if you can / have the option Open Control Panel->Add Remove Programs. In left margin of the window, click on Add/Remove Windows Components. See if you scroll down if you can uncheck Media Player.
Viewpoint Media Player - I use AIM, so I have to keep this, right? Yea, remove it and it just comes rigth back
Quicktime Player - Probably need it for some web sites

Then there's things that I assume I have to keep but have no idea what they are. They just sound sort of media-related.
SigmaTel Audio - Probably your onboard sound card
Sound Blaster Audigy - I think this is offboard sound card right? You don't need both unless you want to. You can disable onboard in computer BIOS
ATI Catalyst Control Center Ex - As i recall this ATI's way of showing up on your Desktop (on icon you click in lower right status icons, yes?) If you use it often keep it. Otherwise, you can get to same ATI settings via Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back