TechSpot

Media player for Windows ME

By lopdog
Jul 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

I need a good, lightweight media player that runs on a Pentium 1 with Windows ME (yes, just go ahead and laugh :p The question is serious, though).

I'd like it to play most audio/video files without installing additional codecs, if possible. Does anyone know if I can expect to play any videos at all (like divx, mkv and similar) on a computer like this?

Any suggestion appreciated.

2. odriscoll27

odriscoll27 TS Rookie Posts: 81

3. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,126   +22

4. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 378

Thanks, I'll take a look at both, even though I'm not a big fan of Real Player (it also lists higher sys.req. than the computer I'm talking about).
    I also read that VLC can run on Windows 98/ME using Kernelex.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll see which one runs best.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +335

I've tried VLC on ME with KernelEx, and I didn't have much luck with it. I forget exactly what the problem was, but I remember it didn't work well.

If you can get ahold of a very early version of Winamp 5 that should work. I'm not sure if the first official release of Winamp 5 will be too bloated or not. I know I have one that is called 'prealphasuperleetness' that is essentially Winamp 2 with the capability to play video - I'm sure there is a way I could get that to you if you can't find it online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 378

Thanks for the tips on VLC. I'll see if I can get it Winamp 5. Do you know if it plays most video formats, or do I need additional codecs?

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +335

I believe the version of winamp 5 I linked screenshots of uses the system codecs (not sure on the new winamp 5s, but those are likely far to bloated to run on a P1), rather than bringing its own like VLC.

8. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 903   +39

Pentium 1? That was a long time ago. MP3 and dail-up networking was popular back then. Don't think DIVX or MKV formats existed yet. Anyway, I revived my old Toshiba Satellite 335CDT a year or so ago and used it to play MP3 and slide show. It has a Pentium 266 MHz, either 96 or 128 MB RAM, and Windows98. It was so underpower that it wasn't able to display photos at their original resolution. I had to resize everything to 800x600. I used Winamp to play lower bitrate MP3 files. Tried several version of Winamp. Think I settled w/ v2.92. I experienced lots of freezing during slideshow (used older version of Irfan View), eventually I gave up on using that laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.