Media Player no play!

By ferris1
May 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi There
    Problem: I have a new Dell XPS 420 system, video card Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, Vista with Windows Media Player 11. Recently WMP stopped working - the audio plays but not the video (black screen only)! Other video players work fine - I can play the same files fine with DIVX or VLC. Streaming video via Youtube etc is OK.
    Fixes tried: I have downloaded a bunch a codecs, updated the drivers for the video card and the sound card. Still no good!
    Another possibly related problem is the Windows Media Centre has stopped playing TV input. I can only replay old files not current via the tuner.
    Also when I run Windows update it fails to run 2 updates repeatedly: Msoft Office update (failure KB946691) and MS Office Outlook 2007 junk email filter (KB949037).
    Can anyone help me get WMP going again???
    Many thx
    Ferris
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Try with your Personal firewall turned off (if you have a 3rd party one)

Or:

Start-->Run-->sfc /scannow

Requires your Windows CD and will not lose any data
    Personal firewall should be turned off

Or run a Repair on Windows

By the way what version of Windows are we taliking here? (answer not actually required if the above works)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.