TechSpot

Media probs

By owensmum
May 17, 2007
  1. Hi!

I've downloaded some videos from my mobile phone .3gp's I think. They're showing as .avi files but WMP11 won't play them. I tried downloading a codecs pack from filehipppo but no joy. The .avi files that do open run funny too. They skip or speed up. I used to be able to play them for some reason they don't work anymore. I really want them to work again as they are of my son..

Help!!

(Also if I click on a video link to open a video from a webpage it opens a new web page and says I'm not connected... It hasn't done this before either!)

I recently rebooted to factory fresh settings.

Thanks in advance!!

Emma

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

First, be sure you have all the Windows Updates... including the Optional ones.
    Then take a look at your driver list in Device Manager to be sure nothing related to your problem has a red or yellow flag. You may need firmware, or an update of the driver.

3. owensmum

owensmum TS Rookie Topic Starter

Um... where's the Device Manager?

4. owensmum

And how will I find out about Windows updates? Sorry to sound thick!

5. raybay

Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager then scroll down through the list to see what is contained.

6. raybay

For windows updates, use either Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0 to connect to www.microsoft.com, then search for Windows Updates... it takes some effort sometimes to find it.
    Then click on whatever choice Microsoft gives you... Windows Updates or Microsoft updates...
    This update process can take a long time... as much as seven to twelve minutes if it has never been done before, but eventually it will give you a choice to do updates automatically or Custom.
    If you choose custom, you get to see everything that is being updated, and it gives you the opportunity to select optional hardware, equipment, and software updates. Choose all of the optional choices, then go to the top left corner of the search box to select something like Review and install.
    If you are on a modem, it will take hours some times. If you are already on automatic updates, and on a cable modem or wireless, it will not take long at all.
    There are two routines... the downloads, then separately, the install of those downloads.
    If there are a lot of them, you will need to reboot when done, and run them one more time to be sure of getting them all.

7. owensmum

Thanks for your help lovey but none of the updates mention anything to do with sound, video or codecs. They're all irrelevant to my lappy. As the Device Manager, I have no idea what I'm looking for!!!

Em x

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.