Media Test Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

marygg

I'm not sure this question belongs here. I slaved a hard drive to my computer to clean out garbage. Now I've installed it back in HP Pavilion 525c. The normal startup screen hits for just a second, the I get: PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable and PXE-M0F Exiting NVIDIA boot agent AND Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I appreciate anything you can give me.

Sounds like you over-wrote some important sectors. If the HP recover disk set will allow it, run Windows XP disc in repair mode from a cold boot.

Tell us what you mean by "this doesn't work" as it is difficult to determine what the status of the drive might be.
If what you told us is correct, there should be a way to recover that drive.
If it is a drive that is three years old, or more, it may be dead.

Your optical drive is bad. Replace it. The computer is more than three years in product life, though we have no way to know how old your particular modle might be. HP used eight different models of optical drive in the Pavilion 525C, some better than others.
Luckily, a replacement optical drive is $20 to $49 depending on whether you get a CD-RW, or a DVD-RW, and is easy to replace, once you get the case open.
Good luck.

I can change the optical drive. Could the bad optical drive keep the bios from seeing the hard drive?

No, but a bad optical drive could prevent seeking for the hard drive in some cases.
It is worth a try. The media test failure usually relates to the optical drive.
There are an unusually large number of reports of non-detection of the hard drive lately... so it could be from an infestation.
The problem, as you describe it, is very weird to me.
Usually, non detection is an indication the hard drive has failed... one of the chips on the drive no longer responds to the signals from the BIOS.
More than likely something you copied over to that drive likely damaged it somehow.
If it were mine, I would put that drive back into the other case jumpered as a slave, and see if you can see the drive there, with the other drive jumpered as Master. If you can get the drive to turn, and you can see files and folders on the slave drive, then you likely damaged the four boot sectors on the leading edge of one or more of the platters... but you may have damaged the magnetic media that is there... although I do not see how.
If you can see that slave drive, I would save all the valuable data to a Flash drive or burn it to a CD, then reformat the drive using a Windows disk or from the Master...
Another possibility, if it is not a Toshiba drive, is to go to the web site of the manufacturer of the drive, where you can download the drive fitness test and the drive setup software, and see if it can then detect the drive and completely restore the hard drive to new status. This will mean you would then need to reformat and reinstall that drive when re-jumpered as Master or Cable Select in the HP.

You either have a bad drive, a bad connection some where, a missing or incorrect jumper, or an infestation that is doing real damage... because what you did is routine and should have resulted in a trouble free drive.
Is there any chance at all that the drive was reformatted or accesses in some way by the computer? Are the computers Similar? What is the brand and age of the computer to which you visited and from which you saved data?
Mysteries are only fun when it is not your computer.

It isn't my computer. So far I've figured out the reason the hard drive was not recognized is that someone (not me) disabled it in Bios. I made the change and now it is recognized. Both optical drives are also recognized in Bios. So now the error I'm getting is that windows did not fully install and rerun set up.

Those HP Palv have an issue in the BIOS from 5,000 series and up when it comes to CD/DVD drives and HDD. There is something wrong with the MOBO (motherboard) onboard controller for these IDE devices. You can set them and forget. But once you reboot the system it comes right back to haunt you where it gives you and error saying it can't find the OS (operating system) or better yet the CD, DVD or HDD drives. If the CD was bad you can tell the light will stay on or it just won't boot or it will not load data. I have 3 of those type of systems and they all do the same thing. Yeah you can update the BIOS but that will not fix the issue. The only thing you can do is replace the MOBO to current the problem.

Contact HP tech support...

That problem should be taken care of when you shut down for a minute. Then reboot to a cold boot of the Windows CD. Watch the screen carefully so you can select the Full Format in NTFS. Once that starts you should be on your way to recovery.

What Tipster says is true, but I have never seen that happen with the Pavilion 525c. It has been out for a long time, and is a pretty tough system.

Be sure you have already downloaded all the drivers for that computer, particularly the BIOS and the Chipset... but I would plan on reinstalling everything.

Problem solved. After I changed the BIOS, I went to hp website and followed their instructions. F10 starts the recovery. I have added all drivers and all microsoft updates and I'm just finishing SP 2. Didn't need recovery disks. Thank you so much for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back