Mediafire now offering 1TB cloud storage for $5, early birds get 50% off

Himanshu Arora

Staff

A few weeks after Google drastically dropped the price for storage on Google Drive, offering 1 TB for just $9.99 a month, popular online file storage service Mediafire is announcing that it will be offering 1 TB cloud storage for just $5 a month.

The company also announced the launch of their brand new desktop app, and they are celebrating it by giving new users a 50% off deal. This effectively means that early birds can now grab the same 1 TB cloud storage for just $2.50 a month -- definitely a steal.

"As an added bonus, for a limited time, MediaFire is offering half off all storage plans, enabling new users to sign up for just two dollars and fifty cents per month!," a company spokesperson told WinBeta.

Mediafire has also removed file-size upload limits, allowing both free and paid users to upload individual files up to 20 GB in size. Updated Android and iOS apps are also on the way, and will be available over the next few weeks.

Although it will be not easy for the company to compete with the likes of Dropbox, Google Drive, and Amazon Cloud Drive, its new price structure is definitely attractive, and seems to be a step in the right direction.

The company currently offers 10GB storage for free, and claims to have 33 million active registered users. If you don’t have a Mediafire account yet, feel free to head over to Mediafire.com and sign-up.

Permalink to story.

Personally I wouldn't consider their most generous offer even for a second. All these companies want us to use cloud storage so one of these days we should be getting it all for free. Most of us, myself included already get 13 GB and 10 GB from Google and MS respectively for free and the only thing I have stored in that space are my emails which don't take up more than a few MB. I really don't have any use for cloud storage at the moment.

If it had lan sync I bought it immediately. But unfortunately that's not true.

I like MediaFire - aside from a few times where their service went out they've been very dependable.

The only think I would like to see from them is a way to link pictures to other websites. Once ImageShack stabbed us all in the back I was hoping MediaFire could pick up the slack. Instead I had to go with Dropbox for image-linking.

So now I have Google Drive, Dropbox, and Mediafire - all split because I use their clouds for slightly different services, and all have different login credentials. sigh* - I wish I could just use one service.

1TB for $5? Pfft. Tencent's cloud is way better than Mediafire. Why is it better? Because it offer 10TB for free.

1TB for $5? Pfft. Tencent's cloud is way better than Mediafire. Why is it better? Because it offer 10TB for free.

It's only better if you don't mind the entire interface written in Chinese and also don't mind the Chinese holding your data.

TomSEA said:
Guest said:
It's only better if you don't mind the entire interface written in Chinese and also don't mind the Chinese holding your data.

Fortunately, they offer an English version of it and my data is already encrypted so I'm not worried about the Chinese holding mine.

Something tells me that China has less interest in my files than the US government.

Back