Medion Composer 5100 that keeps rebooting itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

mao045

I have a Medion Composer 5100 that keeps rebooting itself.
Computer specs:

Intel Pentium 4 530 CPU 3.0 GHz MB L2 Cache
800 Mhz front side bus
512 MB DDR RAM
160 GB 7200rpm Seagate SATA hard drive
8X Sony DVD +/- RW drive
48x CD-ROM
128 nVIDIA GeForce FX 5300 w/DVI
Win XP Home Edition

I had a friend bring his computer over for me to take a look at and see if I could fix it. Upon receipt it was noticed that the CPU heatsink/fan assembly was lose and lying on the graphics card. I clean all the old thermal compound off and applied a fresh coat. The computer is now rebooting itself at start up. I read a thread on the possibility of it being faulty memory. I downloaded the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool and on the intial run it reboot on test 2 on the first pass. It rebooted and then completed 2 full passes of all 6 tests and then rebooted on test 2 of the third pass. I have been able to get the computer to load and am able to perform simple tasks like opening common programs, accessing the internet etc. I use AVG Antivirus and when I attempted run a computer scan, the computer will reboot about a fifth of the way through the scan. I am trying to figure out if the memory is the problem or if it might be something worse, such as a bad CPU or perhaps the motherboard itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this is the incorrect forum for this issue, please direct me to the correct one. Thank you.

What is the Windows Update status of the system? You have eliminated the heat possibility, but I can't tell if you ran the full memtest:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Please report results. It's a matter of concern that the complete AV scan can't be run. What is the security status on the system> What version of AVG? Firewall? Spyware/adware programs?

Try using the msconfig utility to stop ALL process on Startup EXCEPT the AV and firewall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> UNCHECK all but those mentioned> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Report status..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back