Medion mobo ms7091v2

Hello I would like to ask couple of questions..

I have an advent pentium 4, single core 3.06ghz on a medion ms7091 ver.2 mobo. 2gb Ram.

I wanna ask if I could update my bios from the windows and without booting from cdrom.

I was using windows xp till now and I recently updated to 7 home edition 32b to get some windows drivers support in case I see any improvement at fps (but I didn't see any..

I have a problem with usb 2.0. (Same problem persist also when I had xp). I use wireless tp link (the router is 5 meters from my pc but I can't use wired connection. When I start the pc the usb is recognized as 1.1 speed so the internet speed is always halfed, after a lot of plugins/plugout the usb FINALLY is recognized as usb 2.0 and my internet is normal again. But I can't do this everytime..

I tried literally everything but not bios update. So I wanna ask if I can update bios via winflash. (I'm saying again that I can't boot from the damaged cdrom nor floppy nor usb)

And second what small and cheap update could I do to that old pc to increase performance.

How old is it?? I can barely find any record of the motherboard.

Let me tell you my story. After carefully reading everything about older very high end systems, I was able to buy and assemble from parts a Xeon 4-core workstation for about US$150. You may wish to explore this. I did limit myself to sellers in my own country - I did not want tariff and import fees.

I have a newer laptop and I wouldn't like to spend more than 50 $ for this one since all these years I have it have made a lot of upgrades (plus I got the laptot). I just wanna make this old pc as playable as I can.

I'll give you more detailed infos about this grandpa.. :p. I have it since 2004 or 2005 I can't remember.

MOBO: http://microdream.co.uk/msi-ms-7091...herboard.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.066 Mhz, Prescott, G1
RAM: 2gb of Ram (1+1) (at 333 or 400 Mhz I think)
GPU: Geforce GT 240 512mb.

I have the new bios files from the site but there is noway I can install them from cdrom. (my pc can' t boot from anything else than hard drive or cdrom) And since I can't boot from cdrom I'm curious if I can install the new bios elseway.

I have this big usb problem, I have tried every possible driver, I have download everything from windows catalog site.. But nothing seems to wok..

The weird thing is that when im viewing for example a video from youtube or doing something that will cause internet traffic.. after that if I plugout and plugin my usb TP-link then it MIGHT recognize the usb as a usb 2.0 and not 1.1.

And a newer thing is that after my upgrade to win7, even if I have a 20mbps DL speed, my latency is always high no matter what, and my isp is not responsible for this because when I had win XP I had like 1/10 of the latency I have now. Plus all the other devices work with good latency in the house.

You haven't upgraded by installing Windows 7. I have a Medion desktop with v1 of your motherboard and a faster P4 cpu. It's over 11 years old and at the time W7 came out I looked at installing the new OS. There were going to be a number of hardware problems as some W7 drivers never materialised so I let it be and bought a new Windows 7 desktop computer. The only worthwhile upgrade that I've made to the Medion, still running XP Home, apart from installing a larger hard drive and the usual couple of replacement graphics cards was to increase the ram to 4Gb. As the P4 3.4Gb cpus run as hot as a fan heater a more powerful graphics card was a non starter. The increase in ram made a big improvement to performance. I'd think twice before flashing the BIOS.

From all that you have said, IMHO it is a "Lost Cause" and Monty Python should be called in to do the honors.

Thank you bazz2004, getting 2 more gb of Ram was my thought too (the only reason I wanted to flash bios was INCASE I could disable legacy drivers, maybe this is the reason with the usb thingy, but.. only if I could solve this usb 2.0/1.1 trouble... It's so weird I can't even understand why is happening.. Maybe I should go back to windows xp I guess, since the overall performance on this pc is better on XP than windows 7.

I'm also wondering even another OS different than windows would increase the overall performance (implying that there is drivers + applications support for that OS)

XP would be the best OS but reinstalling it will not be easy or quick even if you still have the Windows XP and driver disks that came with your computer. XP went to SP3 plus hundreds of additional Windows updates. I cloned my hard drive to a much larger one to avoid all the hassle of a fresh install. I never use my XP computer for any task like internet shopping or banking because the OS is not secure enough.

Back