Meet 'China's Apple': Xiaomi is the new king of the world's biggest smartphone market

1. Chinese handset manufacturer Xiaomi has surpassed Samsung to become China's top smartphone vendor in the second quarter, according to Canalys. Xiaomi sold 15 million smartphones during the April-June period, a three-fold increase from a year ago.

Read more
  2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Chinese pride, or superior product?
  3. China lucky number is 8. On touchscreen show 8 PM but 24h format 20.00
    Not was hard decoding message, lol.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Yep these are young companies they all started in 2010 some 2009 from Android. They have nice pictures showing all the factory workers building tablets and they going to do the same with their smartphone too.

The pictures make you feel like your getting a well made product.
  5. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,804   +483

I have the Red Rice (hongmi) one. it beats samsung hands down. from build quality to specs, price and software. I've had no problem for almost a year. and now you can find it online for about 160$.
  6. The title of this article should be "meet china's apple: Xiaomi is the new king of the world's biggest sitting duck target for copyright infringement"

7. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Looks 100% like an iphone, I'd love to see apple trying to sue them in China.
  8. Puiu

if that looks like an iphone then you've never help an iphone in your hand :D
  9. lipe123

Are you looking at the poster in the image at the top of the article or maybe just ignorant?

Sure the device is physically larger (just like the samsung that got sued for 1mil $ ) but it has the exact same sharp corners and rounded edges as the iphone5 and even the middle button has the same little square in it.

Seriously look:

The physical design of it is 99.9999995% the same as the iphone. Apple sued Samsung over something that didn't even look closely as much as their icrap as this.
  10. Yep, looks a lot like my daughters iphone 4. Waiting to see if apple has enough common sense to NOT try and sue them.
  11. Puiu

don't just rely on some pictures. I've put the 2 together next to each other. it's impossible in real life to think that it looks similar. the corners have a different shape even if it's a bit rounded (much sharper) and the buttons look different (how can three buttons that have no shape be the same as 1 round big button?). also the materials and other small differences make the device look very different from apple and samsung.
    this is from me having compared the phones in real life. it's not just some photos. trust me. they look nothing like apple and samsung. it's actually closer to other android phones than those 2.
  12. lipe123

Clearly the irony here is just totally lost on you. I give up.

You DO realize that apple sued the pants off samsung for their galaxy tab and phones for stealing the design idea of apple of a rectangular device with rounded corners - that they own the patent on for some inexplicable reason.
    So yeah they can sue any phone with rounded corners, doesnt matter if the size isnt the same, has more buttons, runs a diff OS and the corners are totally different.
  13. Puiu

samsung stole more than just the look and feel of iphones :D they got what they deserve.
  14. lipe123