TechSpot

Meet Microsoft's new CEO: Satya Nadella

By Julio Franco
Feb 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. After a long selection process and a myriad of rumors on who would take the helm at Microsoft, Satya Nadella, former executive VP of Microsoft's Cloud and Enterprise group, is stepping up to replace Steve Ballmer. Nadella is a Microsoft veteran,...

Read more
  2. He looks like Gandis great grandson! ;)
  3. trparky

trparky TS Rookie Posts: 69   +8

Hopefully this means Windows 8 and Metro will be taken out back and shot, Old Yeller style.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,206   +518

Wow history in the making people... Im interested to see what will be changed in Microsoft with this new guy!
  5. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Interesting how he is bringing Bill back to be more involved. Whatever he does, let's hope he pulls Microsoft in a more positive direction and injects some humanity back into the company. That and he needs to start restructuring the Xbox Division and put a stop to all the nonsense.
    wastedkill likes this.
  6. Proud to see an Indian in prospect of becoming the next Microsoft CEO.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,939   +899

[​IMG]

I am gonna miss Balmer.
  8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

His letter makes it sound like anything but this.
    I basically mean nothing in his letter suggests the return of a desktop GUI for desktops....it moves towards the opposite really.
  9. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 609   +80

Doubtful as extended support expires January 2023. I am doubtful if the change of CEO will make much difference. The guy has been with MS for 22 years so he will lack an outside perspective.
  10. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 504   +82

Well, he is younger than 60.
  11. H1-B, H1-B H1-B

Why hire 'Mericuns

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

But he'll know exactly what MS is about and where to focus his attention. He also may understand well what MS is and what they aren't. It depends on what you think would help MS the most. They could get someone from the outside to help improve the areas where MS is weak, or they could take an insider to help refine the areas where they are strong. I think focusing on the strengths is a good thing.

Maybe the next Surface ad will focus on productivity and not trendy dancing college kids.
    spectrenad and CorvusCorax like this.
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,963   +1,483

My only concern is if he will focus on making everything cloud based before the Internet infrastructure as a whole can support it.
  14. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 609   +80

You can't watch much TV as the last Surface Ad I saw involved a college professor extolling the virtues of the device running all of his legacy programs.
  15. The desktop never left. Classic shell and other give you basically Win 7desktop
  16. cliffordcooley

From your perspective it would seem "DVD Playback" was never removed from Win8.

DVD playback options for Windows

Lets keep going and remove a few more things:
    1. Calculator
    2. Disk Management
    3. Explorer
    4. Games (Included in every install)
    5. Internet Explorer
    6. Media Player
    7. NotePad
    8. Paint
    9. WordPad
    I'm sure we would not miss them, with all the alternative download options available. Especially if we look at it from your perspective, that they wouldn't truly be removed.

But above all lets remove all backward compatibility with the duplicate files stored in the "winsxs" folder. I hate making backup images, while knowing this one folder is nearly 8GB of duplicate files. Makes matters even worse if you want to store more than one backup image. Can you imagine the controversy in removing backward compatibility?
  17. ikesmasher

Im awfully confused at this post, I dont know which side its siding with, even though im pretty sure its satire. xD

The annoying thing is that they arent even duplicate files-its links to the original files that makes windows fool itself into thinking they actually are duplicate files, saying that its taking up 8GB when its using nothing near that much.
  18. Mike Steele

Mike Steele TS Member Posts: 37   +6

exactly, this should be interesting (in a good way)
  19. cliffordcooley

This is what makes the duplication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinSXS#Misconceptions
    I don't know every little detail but I do know what I am being told. And it is being held as part of my disk usage.
    <reserve for image as soon as I find the upload link>
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    There is no option for uploading files. This site is ridiculous, when it comes to uploading files. I will upload to a file share and then link the URL instead.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  20. ikesmasher

thats what im saying xD
    they arent files, the space is empty, windows just refuses to believe it and prevents you from using it.
    If you were suggesting that this should be a high priority, than I agree. But your post confused me. I should probably go sleep.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  21. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,222   +231

22. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,010   +150

he probably is already a naturalized American citizen since he has worked for Microsoft for the last 22 years.
    h1b visa is only for foreign workers.
  23. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,222   +231

Who are you talking about? Nadella? If so, he was born in India & 46.
  24. cliffordcooley

What difference does it make anyway where he is from, as long as he is qualified to run the company?
    spectrenad and learninmypc like this.
  25. First I Congratulate Mr. Nadella. I hope someday you can make any Windows Operating System a Virus Free. If this happens it will make our life more easier.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.