TechSpot

Mega's Kim Dotcom accelerates efforts to build secure e-mail service

By Shawn Knight
Aug 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Mega’s Kim Dotcom is looking to capitalize on a seemingly wide-open market in the wake of secure e-mail services Lavabit and Silent Circle voluntarily shutting down following intense pressure from US authorities. The company is accelerating efforts to build a...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,594

I'm tempted to get an account as soon as it is up and ready. Even If it is nothing more than saying screw you NSA. But deep down, I still don't think you will have privacy with this new email.

Skidmarksdeluxe, spencer and SalaSSin like this.
  3. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Member Posts: 95   +30

I'm also afraid they will be prime target of all intelligence services, who might be thinking: "if they want it encrypted, they want to hide something from us".

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

So these two were the only ones in the world who had this service? That sounds hard to believe.

Joke is on you Kim. Only half of Americans even read the news, and the other half don't care. The Obama administration is protected by our media and unless anyone goes out and reads about Lavabit, no one is going to even remember them in two weeks.

Maybe. Secure email is probably used by anyone with an innovation the Chinese might be interested in.

5. This is awesome, but this time he is playing with the big ones, and we have seen what happen.

The new thing is the goverment spying everyone, we being grateful about it and hope the people with all that info do only the right thing......

6. Being a long time StartPage user, I'm looking forward to StartMail. The beta is suppose to begin any time now.

7. Martin Beek

Martin Beek TS Rookie

Why would we trust someone like kimdotcom with our data?!

We protect our email and documents (specially when on Google drive or DropBox) with a stand-alone message & file encryptor (we use the Provost Cryptex software, which is now called CYPHR ( www.provost-intel.org/cyphr ) but there are many other programs alike).

Encrypting your messages and mail before storage or distribution is the only safe and reliable way.

Encrypted mail services such as kimdotcom's suggested Mega Mail service will remain rogue operations and not fit for professional or official use in any way.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.