TechSpot

Megaupload sues Universal and joins fight against SOPA

By Leeky
Dec 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The file-hosting service Megaupload and Universal Music Group (UMG) have locked horns, after a video released by the former was removed on Friday from the popular video sharing site YouTube…

Read the whole story

2. Did he really just say that MegaUpload takes piracy seriously and that they delete pirated files???

3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 642   +118

Haha yeah. Although I hate it when people put their files up on megaupload I have to say I'm with megaupload in this dispute.

4. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

LMFAO @ the video being removed due to copyright complaint!!!

5. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 387   +53

Thats crazy ****. If there is no copyright material and contracts for all the content, what the hell right do they have to make a claim? Why the hell isn't youtube putting the video back up? Its a screwed up world out there...

6. it's obvious, imho:

umg is scared that they lose money when they stop (or, at least, are being slightly threatened) being the big middleman between the customer and the artist. with this new site by megaupload, which, according to the text, gives 90%!!!!! of the money to the artist himself, umg is most likely willing to do anything to prevent that system from becoming popular.

7. Mudvayne819

Mudvayne819 TS Rookie Posts: 41

Whoever have the money rules.... All we need to do is get rid of that money and all our problems are solved.

8. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,282   +157

"Nothing in our song or the video belongs to Universal Music Group. We have signed agreements with all artists endorsing Megaupload."

Universal you (insert expletive here).

Take your heads from your bottoms and wake up to the 21st century. Find a better way to do buisness or go the way of the transistor radio, CRT tvs, VHS, ect ect..

9. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Heh, I get why the industry is concerned here since we all know why MegaUploads is so popular. But using the DMCA against content that isn't even owned by you is clear abuse to me and I hope MegaUpload wins in court. What's more disturbing here imo is once Google received a challenge instead of letting it be a fight between the two parties continued to take down the video which from my understanding shouldn't even be happening.

10. wow... any bills pushed by business should be illegal... just another way to make the little guy pay.

Thanks for the report, bud.

11. The Internet will soon be like some big "neutral zone" where you can't say or do poop.

12. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

This is bs lol. Is anyone else registered waiting longer than 24 seconds? I thought it used to be 24 but I guess I'm wrong. That's bs also >_>

13. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 467   +85

Megaupload constantly deletes stuff thats copyrighted yes. If you've ever been to any site that links to questionable content you'd know this.

Also F***** these copyright *****s. It's been proven over and over that all they do is make fortunes with bogus lawsuits and also waste fortunes on the same thing. They claim to protect the artists but in reality they only protect their own interests.

14. DMCA takedown notices are enforced immediately, there is no proof whatsoever required. Failure to comply is a violation of federal law. Youtube cannot re-instate any video with a takedown notice filed with them. Regardless of the validity of the order.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.