members spec's

tomrca

what do you think of making spec's compulsary? it may deter multiple user names for an individual user. it would also help the special forces in solving problems in OS and HARDWARE problems.

Although it`s nice when members fill out their system specs in their user profiles, I don`t think it should be made compulsory.

A lot of members only come here to have certain problems fixed, then don`t really come here again, until the next problem arises that they need help with.

I actually think, making system specs compulsory, might even deter some members from joining Techspot at all. A lengthy registration process is a big turn off to a lot of people.

All we can do is encourage members to fill in their specs.

Regards Howard :)

I actually think, making system specs compulsory, might even deter some members from joining Techspot at all. A lengthy registration process is a big turn off to a lot of people

this one did cross my mind too, but nevertheless, if its not brought up it can't be discussed, right?:grinthumb

Ya, some people don't even know what brand mouse they have :haha:, let alone the specs of their computer....I mean I have seen some pretty strange threads about problems obviously encountered by someone who doesn't have the "computer enthusiast" intelligence level (for computers anyway).

I think it should be 'encouraged' but not mandatory. There is the other end of the spectrum on Howard's point - I have 5 computers that I use in my apt, and if I have a question for TS, there is about an equal chance it could be from any of those 5.

/Unfortunately when I ask questions, they don't seem to get answered.

Ya, some people don't even know what brand mouse they have , let alone the specs of their computer....I mean I have seen some pretty strange threads about problems obviously encountered by someone who doesn't have the "computer enthusiast" intelligence level (for computers anyway).

if people not knowing there specs would be a problem there is that thing that just checks your comp then tells you, like when you sign up to xfire and when your on gamespot that system requirments lab thing. then people cant get it wrong

SNGX1275 said:

That's because you are so dang smart, if something stumps you it stumps most of the rest of us as well!:)

Good Morning, as you can see I am still in training. I think asking what my computer specs are is great. I am just beginning to learn more from being here and reading the different forums and me taking the time to find something out about my system was the least I could do. I still find it amazing how much help I have received from everyone here and how nice you all are when my questions are because of the person using the keyboard (me). I just want to thank everyone for being here. :)

Thanks for your positive feedback Stacey, it is appreciated.

SNGX1275 said:

That`s because, you always have problems that no one else has ever heard of, not even Google lol.

Regards Howard :)

while at first thought it would be nice if people were required to fill out their system specs, at second thought there would be no way of requiring members to give detailed specs. if the specs are generic, then they are [in most cases] useless.

for example, if somebody fills out their specs as:
  • 2.6GHz CPU
  • Asus motherboard
  • 1.5GB RAM
  • 80GB hard drive
  • cd-rom drive
  • 500 watt PSU
does that tell you anything useful about their system? no..., but it would satisfy the hypothetical "compulsory" system spec policy.

it is a problem, but i don't see any practical solution any better than simply asking them to fill in their detailed specs.

:wave:

I'll second that Cody. If decide to fill out the specs make it very specific.

Heres and example.

My Planned Gaming RIG of 2007:
Biostar tForce 550 AMD AM2 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz OC to 4200+
Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x1GB) DDR2-800 Dual Channel RAM
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA-2 16MB Buffer HDD
Emprex (Sony) DVD-RW 18X Standard Drive
Lite-on DVD-RW 16X Standard Drive
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS 256MB PCIe X16
Hiro 56K PCI Dial-up Modem
OCZ Game-X-Stream 700W Power Supply
Antec Life Style Sonata-II (2.0) Case