Memorex DVD Burner 16x Dual Layer not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diresu

I bought a memorex external dvd-rw and windows can't find it. It reads it as a regular cd rom yet its in the device manager. When I try to burn something, it doesn't appear in the list of drives. There was no driver cd that came with the package and there was no drivers on memorex' site that I could find.

I tried plugging it into every usb i have and no difference. It just doesn't seem to read it correctlly.

its this drive here:
http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=3&CID=11&SID=15&PID=871&FID=115&opento=11

Please help ! Thanks

Optical drives use the native windows drivers so there are no drivers to download. What burning program have you installed? Windows does not have native DVD burning support and only rudimentary CD burning support.

I figured it out. Turns out it was not detecting the DVD-R's I am using. I went ahead and bought TDK DVD's and it works fine. Ones I had previously was Fujifilm and they apparentlly suck.

hmmm....fujifilm are usually rebadged Taiyo Yuden disks and are very high quality.But it is always possible to get a bad batch.

The only disks I've ever had problems with were Sony -R 4x. I've used some others and had success but the disks are ugly as hell, so now I only get Sony -R 8x or 16x. Both of those have always worked fine for me, but they are a bit expensive compared to some others.

I have used Taiyo Yuuden disks, including those rebadged to Fujifilm with no problems in my Liteons, BenQ's, and Plextors with never a problem. but I have found that Verbatim disks work just as good and are a fraction of the price.

The only drive I had problems with the Sony 4x's were ironically a Sony drive, but it was just a rebadged Lite-On. After 100% failure rate with sony 4x disks I went to the 8x and only recently switched to the 16x, both with nearly 0% failure rate (user error has been the only cause of failure on over 120 burned disks). My other 2 drives since that first sony were a lite on 8x and a plextor 16x.

My other 2 drives since that first sony were a lite on 8x and a plextor 16x.

Well, at least you have good taste in drives, if not disks..... :haha:

and it wasnt just you with the 4x sony-R. EVERYBODY with a liteon drive complained about them. it was about that time that everybody had Sony 4X DVD-R's on sale dirt cheap. but if you had a liteon drive you couldnt use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back