Memory chip prices reach two-year high in wake of Hynix plant fire

By Shawn Knight
Sep 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A fire earlier this month at SK Hynix Semiconductor’s memory fabrication facility in China is being blamed for a two-year high in memory chip prices. On the day of the fire, a 2GB DRAM chip cost $1.60 and now three...

Read more
  2. Same scam they did with the hard disk drives. I wonder what's next ... hmm dvd burners are pretty cheap too nowadays ...
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. Floods, then fire...maybe next time these manufacturers will blame earthquake or the aliens for their next price hikes.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

Will this affect SSDs?

Really hoping to buy a 500GB one... below $250, sometime in the future...
  5. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 247   +103

It shouldn't because SSDs use flash memory and not DRAM. Even if this affected Hynix's flash production, some SSD manufacturers make their own flash, like Intel, Samsung, and Sandisk so I imagine that they wouldn't be affected in this hypothetical scenario.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Somebody's smiling all the way to the bank, and they say crime doesn't pay. Maybe I'm just stupid because I believed it.
  7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

They do supply flash memory too, so it would affect the weird brand names SSD. So it would be interesting to see what happens.