Memory compatibility with ASUS Mobo

By foxdelta
Aug 6, 2008
  1. Hi there,

Can anyone give me advice on DDR memory compatibility with my ASUS P4P800S-X motherboard please?

I currently have 1 GB of PC2100 266mhz memory in my system but I want to upgrade. I can only afford a stick of 1GB Kingston DDR400 PC3200 serial number KVR400X64C3A/1G which (I hope) will work on its own in this mobo. I want to know if I could mix the 2 sorts of memory (DDR400 & 266Mhz) to give me 1.5 GB of memory. Next month i will buy another 1GB stick and replace the 512MB PC2100 so this is only a short -term problem.

Thanks for the advice.
  2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

check the compatible list on ASUS site.
  3. foxdelta

foxdelta TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Finally got 2 sticks of the Kingston 1GB PC3200 DDR400 running in my machine and what a difference 2GB makes! Of interest, the mixed RAM did work only that the speed was recorded for both at 266mhz.

Thanks again.
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

Any machine will always clock the faster RAM down to match the speed of the slowest DIMM.
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

ASUS boards are extremely picky on ram. Stick to the manufacturer's recommendations in the mobo book.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.