Memory failures w/Windows XP after 1gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD 2100+ chip. 4 slots on the Abit AT7-Max2 mbo and guide says 2gb max is ok. 1GB of 2100 (2 512s) or 2700 (2 512s) memory work fine. However, when I add 2 more 512s of 2700 to get to 2gb, I start getting failures of IE. I've tried different makers and all have similar results. Any thoughts?

I am not entirely clear are you using 1 gb of PC2100 and another GB of PC2700 together? if so that is probably the source of your problems.

All 2700

All 2700. And originally I had 4 2100's and never had a problem, so I think all 4 slots are good.

Also, why are just the IE program's crashing?

could be that one or more of the 4 sticks of ram are broken. Try to boot up windows using 2 sticks at a time. Also, when you stick in 4 sticks, the timing for your CPU is automatically changed to 2T (from 1T), making it slower, but it shouldn't cause it to crash.

Tried different combos

tried different combinations and slots- all work in 1st 2 slots as long as <= 1gb total. I haven't tried 1.5 yet, but 2.0 causes the instability. I was hoping it was some bios setting or something. I've got 2 more sticks exactly like the 2 currently in slots 1 and 2 on the way... to give be 4 exactly the same. I'm hoping 4 of the exact same will do the trick but I'm not hopeful.

What does " cpu is changed to 2T (from 1T), making it slower..." mean?

1T and 2T are the rate at which commands are executed by the CPU. I read somewhere that using 1T is like using 2T but running 15-20Mhz faster.

As for the memory, check to see that you have the latest driver for you motherboard, there might be a bug of some sort. I'm not too sure about what's causing the problem, never seen it before.

By the way, it usually doesn't matter if you have different speed ram (i.e. pc2700 with pc2100) because the motherboard will automatically adjust the speed of the faster one to run at the same speed as the slower one.

Sorry i'm not much of a help :D

Appreciate the attempt- modules working on OTHER computers @ 1gb

I took the opportunity to put the 512 modules that wouldn't work in my machine at over 1gb to upgrade the kids machines. They work like a charm, so now the kids have 1gb, and I have no clue why my machine want accept the 2gb. What's the most puzzling to me is why only IE fails.

Well, I don't know how to help you, but if it makes you feel any better, THG has an article about how much ram you really need:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need

If you don't want to read it all, here's the jist of it:

-=-=-=-
512 MB

There are a few situations where having just 512 MB system memory in your computer can be enough.

* If you run your games at low quality settings (small texture size) because you have an outdated CPU and graphics card, or because you prefer FPS over visual quality.
* If you only use one application at a time.
* If it is your grandmother's computer.

If you are buying a new computer, even if it's a laptop, opt for more than 512 MB - you will never regret it.

1 GB

Indeed, 1 GB of system memory will most likely be enough for the average user and for people.

* It will allow you to play new games at their highest quality settings, given that you have an adequate processor and a powerful graphics solution.
* You won't have to shut down non-critical applications when you want to play a game.
* You can (accidentally) press the Windows button while in a game without dying from a stroke during the seconds it takes to read Windows back into system memory from the swap file.
* If you go from 512 MB to 1 GB, you will notice the difference all the time. Starting up Photoshop while working with Word, an Internet browser, e-mail client and Acrobat Reader will go so much faster, and switching between the applications is a breeze.

2 GB

Still there are situations where more than 1 GB is what you want.

* If you are a professional user, you might need more than 1 GB for really heavy applications.
* If you intend to do heavy multitasking, especially if you have more than one CPU or CPU core. Running RAM intensive games such as World of Warcraft, downloading files via high speed FTP or encrypted protocols, Bittorrent or any P2P program; decompressing large archives and playing large size video files in a window or on second monitor all at the same time can max out your system memory pretty fast - if your CPU can handle it.
-=-=-=-

So unless you're compressing files and playing games at the same time, or you're a professional user (video editing, CAD programs, etc) 1 gig of ram is plenty.

Amateur video editing

upgrading cpu to amd 3000+ trying to get ready to start video editing project, so i want to max out the memory. Heck, maybe when I install the 3000+ chip my memory problem will go away. thanks, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back