Memory for Asus A7n8x-x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I want to upgrade my memory for my Asus A7n8x-x board. Right now it has 2 sticks of consair 256 value select 3200. I am not sure, but I want to add 512 to the last slot. I just don't know if there is certain memory it can or can't take. I see info about a single channel mode, does that mean I can only run single channel memory or can I run dual channel memory? I would be thankful for any help.
Thanks
Russ

Here is what you need to know-memory speaking...

First, to add memory to already existing memory in your Motherboard, the memory needs to be of same size and speed. So at best, you can only add more 256 sticks at pc3200.

I would assume that your current memory sticks are what they call "Double Sided." That means that the magnetic chips are on both sides of the stick. Nothing to do with DDR or anything like that.

You need to check your user manual. I believe this board is one of those that can be finicky with memory. There should be a guide for configuring your board to use all 3 memory banks. Some banks will support Double, some will only support single.

Give you an example. My motherboard has 4 memory banks. The motherboard will number the banks. On my mother board, for me to use 4 memory sticks, I had to configure it like this:

Memory Slot 1: 512MB PC 3200 (Double-Sided)
Memory Slot 2: 512MB PC 3200 (Single-Sided)
Memory Slot 3: 512MB PC 3200 (Double-Sided)
Memory Slot 4: 512MB PC 3200 (Single-Sided)

Now-what would happen if I placed a double-sided chip in slot 2? Well, nothing really. But my MB would not read or recognize slots 3 and 4, so I would still only operate with 1 GB of Ram instead of 2.

Consult your user manual to see how you need to map out the 3 banks to be able to use them. The memory type is the same, only difference is if it has the memory chips on 1 or both sides...

As far as I know your motherboard wont recognize it, and if it does, I have been told that you can suffer in performance rather than gain because of conflicts. Someone else may know of a work around to have mis-matched Ram-but that's not my forte. Just telling you what I know it supports...

As far as I know, yes-your only option to get 512mb sticks is to switch your 256 sticks to 512 as well.

So is this only because my motherboard is an asus a7n8x-x? I have been told by others I can just slap a stick of 512 into that third slot, but like you, I thought their might be complications.

I don't believe it to be a motherboard issue so to speak as it is a windows/bios issue.

But that's me guessing. I understand the mechanics of how to do it, maybe someone else that knows the mechanics of why can chime in. But I am pretty sure you would not be able to stick a 512meg stick in with 2 x 256meg sticks.

Another question. What is the difference between regular and dual-channel memory. Is dual channel better and will it work on an asus a7n8x-x? Thanks in advance
russ

So can anyone update on this. Is it possible to mix amounts of ram, or on a board with three slots, must they all be the same? Can you run dual channel memory in a single channel motherboard, like I believe the asus a7n8x-x is? Thank you for any information.

Take a look at your manual. I have the same board with 2x512mb 3200 ram. The board supports up to 3gig of single-channel ram.

Typically, you can mix and match different sizes of ram of the same speed. 2x256 + 1x512 sounds ok to me.

As for dual channel, it's debatable how much speed gain there is. I've read that the gain would be about 5% on AMD chips. If your job is to do benchmarks, then yes, it's worth it. Otherwise, no.

Thanks,
I guess I will just get a stick of 512 and throw it in. My apt caught on fire and I lost or stored a lot of stuff, so I am not sure if I have the manual. But the board is definitely single channel?

Well it just occurred to me that I think I have the a7n8x-x, but I didn't know that the regular existed. I thought there was the E and the deluxe. What I can't figure out is that I have corsair value select memory which I believe is dual channel. So why would they put that in my computer if it is a single channel motherboard. Still trying to figure this out, so if anyone has ideas, that would be great.
thanks

similar prob maybe?

I think i might have a prob along ur lines..... i have the same mobo and it apparently runs up to 400mhz ram.... i have had one 256mb stick of ddr333 (only ran @ 166mhz) and now have 2 512 sticks of ddr 400mhz ram (both of whick can only run @ a max of 200mhz "single channel mode" or only 133mhz if i do auto... this tricked me into thinking my mobo musta been dual channel.... how fast is ur ram running? can ANYONE help me with this prob cuz its REALLY gettin on my nerves...

I now have 1gb of memory running in my computer with the mb a7n8x-x. Two sticks of 256 and 1 stick of 512. They all run at 3200 or 400mhz. However, every time I boot up, it says running at 200mhz in single channel mode. I am willing to believe that it is single channel, but is it really running at 200mhz, or it is double that. I have done a little tinkering in the bios but I can't seem to find a definitive answer in there as to what speed it is running at. I honestly think it is running at 400mhz only because even top end games tend to run alright. But if it isn't, I certainly would like to get it up to speed. Can anyone determine what is going on with this?

Profesional advice

I recently contacted asus in regard to this problem and they sent me the following email:
"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Please enter BIOS-advanced-advanced chipset features-

then set CPU external frequency to 133MHZ,

set memory frequency to BY SPD,

save and exit .

if post report the memory frequency is 200mhz ,

then the memory is running at ddr400 .

Thank you for using ASUS products and services!"

I still have no clue why it only says 200mhz, but hey..... this didnt help me at all though because id already done this.
Post if you can figure out how to get it any faster.

I have the asus board (deluxe) and I have (2) x 256 and (1) x 512. No problems. i think you might be confusing single/dual channel with DDR (double data rate) DDR ram at 200mhz is effectively rated 400 because it can tarnsfer information on both the rising and descending part of each cycle.

Dual channel is a mode that offers a wider pathway and allows a slight (typically only around 5%) increase in performance. however you must have two matched sticks of memory. I was running in dual channel mode before I got the extra 512mg stick and I have noticed no decline in performance running in single channel mode. Most motherboards will throttle your memory bus to the slowest stick so you can use differing speeds, but hey, who needs more potential for conflicts?

Using 3 memory modules won't stop you from using the DualChannel memory controller you just need to have the same amount of memory on each channel. Slot 1/2 are channel #1 & Slot 3 is channel #2. Set the 256mb modules on the first two slots & install the 512mb module on the last slot & you should be good to go.

Well now it makes sense. When it says it is running in single channel mode, it is because supposedly it doesn't run in dual channel. As the asus company stated, it is running at 200mhz, but that means the memory is running at twice that, which is 400mhz. So I guess there are no more complications at this point other than the fact that I don't know if this board runs in dual channel or not. Either way, now that I have 2x256+512 in slots 1,2,and 3 respectively, I guess it is the best I can do. Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but if I was going to upgrade from a 5700 Ultra -128mb video card, which card would someone suggest. Something under 200, if that is possible.
Thanks

asus a7n8x-x

Hello,

First, if you are not sure about your exact model of motherboard go to
cpuid.org/pcwizard and download and install pc wizard 2007. Its a free program to tell you exactly what is in your pc.

Second, go to crucial.com (a memory stick provider) and use th online Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool. There you will find useful information about your motherboard.

If you have the a7n8x-x, yes you can use whatever ddr sdram stick you want in combination up to 3 Giga total memory. But definatelly this mainboard does not support dual channel memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back