Memory Frequency DDR266/333/400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys ,

I got a new 1gb DDR 400 Ram for my PC, I already have a 1gb DDR400 ram

so now i have 2 X 1Gig of Ram

Now the problem is that My windows Doesnt load, it goes up till the welcome screen and then my system restarts on its own,
thinking that my new ram might be faulty i put the new ram alone and rebooted my PC, it works like a charm ..
so when i install both the RAm ,it doest boot.

then i changed Memory frequency on my BIOS setting, default was Auto, i changed it to DDR 333, it didnt work and then again i came down to DDR 266, now it works fine..

now i m a little confused, my RAM is DDR 400 , am i running my PC at a lower Speed.. ??

or is it something to do with the dual channel thingy?

INtel 865 GV chipset
Win XPsp3
P4 2.66
Geforce 6200
2 X 1gb ram DDR400

thank u all for ur replies..

Yes, you need to set your memory speed to match the lowest of the RAM chips you use. The frequency rating on the RAM chips is the maximum it can respond at. But they can work at a lower speed. So, if you use RAM chips of various frequency ratings, you need to set the memory speed in BIOS to the slowest RAM.

-- Andy

almcneil, he said first thing that he had bought and already had DDR400.

Read the darn posts before jiumping in!

Thx

I did read it, perhaps he thought he has DDR400 when really it's not. People get confused. Clearly one of the sticks is DDR/266. Or the stick was mislabled. Who kows. I was just answering his question. If he ahd to reset the BIOS memoruy clock to 266 that means one of the sticks has to be 266MHz.

-- Andy

Both are DDR 400

Both are DDR 400 same make and same company and i even checked thier serial no's

they run at 400 when i use them separately,i dont have to change the bios memory freq to 266, but when i use both of them together i am getting the problem..

how can i know if my ram was mislabeled ? is there any s/w to detect them.. ?

when i boot up with both the Ram' s i get a msg DDR400 (Dual channel enabled),
I tired safe mode also.. as soon as i see the desktop i get the BSOD ( physical memory dump...)

@ CCT
its an INtel 865GV chipset.
Ram: Transcend DDR400
more details click below
yyy.transcendusa.com/support/dlcenter/jetram/product/Pdf/JM388D643A-5L_2430_S.pdf

You can use a diagnostic program like Lavalys EVEREST to see what the frequency of the chips are. I'm checking mine right now and yes, they're rated at 667Mhz but are running at 333MHz.

-- Andy

Sigh!

DDR400 PC3200 ram runs at 200 Mhz and is double pumped to 400 Mhz. If in dual channel mode (matched pairs of dual channel Ram on a mobo that supports dual channel) it is 'effectively' doubled again to 800 Mhz. You usually find this on quad-pumped motherboards that run at 800 Mhz FSB but the base frequency is 200 Mhz. This matches the speed of your Ram and Processor for a 'perfect' match.

thanks for all the help guys. ..

@ CCT . sp what you are saying is that whatever i have done is correct and my rams are not running at a lower speeds..

@almcneil
i dont know the brand name, its called something as a Main board..
Hope the CPUIZ reports might help you.

I have 2 Ram slots

anyways i ran the CPUIZ and i got the following results for the
( i saved it as a DOC)

1 gig Ram (Memory Frequency For in the Bios option is set to AUTO)
//docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddzxgt3_1gtv76p6s

2gig ram (Memory Frequency For in the Bios option is set to DDR-266)
//docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddzxgt3_0d6834sc7

(im not allowed to post links as i m a newbie here)

Your FSB is running at 533 Mhz so your Ram running at DDR266 (actual 133 Mhz double pumped) is correct.

Since you haven't identified your mobo, I must assume it only runs at 533 Mhz FSB.

Yes, you need to set your memory speed to match the lowest of the RAM chips you use. The frequency rating on the RAM chips is the maximum it can respond at. But they can work at a lower speed. So, if you use RAM chips of various frequency ratings, you need to set the memory speed in BIOS to the slowest RAM.

-- Andy
Ram should automatically run at the slowest speed if he has mis-matched ram. But before changing or adding ram read: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back