Memory Lane: The best-looking video game consoles of all time

Jos

Staff

memory lane sony nintendo sega kotaku best of nostalgia guest consoles

Silly fanboys. All these years arguing over things you thought were important, like specs, and games, and controllers. Not once have you considered the most crucial thing about a video game console: how good it looks. 

Who cares if it’s stuck on a shelf, or crammed in an entertainment unit, or that in the dark all you’re going to see are its status lights! An ugly console is a terrible console. What really matters is that you want to be able to welcome people into your home, and without even having to explain anything have them think, phew, that looks like a tremendously powerful and/or exciting piece of kit. It's horribly superficial, yes, but this is an entirely superficial list, so let’s just run with it.

Over the past four decades, there have been some plain consoles, sometimes even some ugly consoles, but we don’t care about them today. Today, we celebrate the best-looking video game consoles (no handhelds) of all time.

Read the complete article.

TechStop. Where the portable version of the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum count as consoles.

Does ZX Spectrum count as console? Than, maybe PS/XO should be considered PCs with closed OS? And there's an F word out there. I could never use it, more out of fear of being banned, but the author should not use it in a first place out of decency if not professionalism. Anyway, where is the first PSP? I think it was awsome piece of design for that time.

I do miss the Sega Dreamcast. That console was so innovative and was what gamers needed, but it never got the support it deserved.

Well I don't think the writer has to much experience with consoles other than maybe Google Images. Here are some from my personal collection that should have made the list.

PC-Engine Duo R is probably my favorite.

Atari 5200 should be the Atari system on the list not the bland 2600, which at the time, there were already wood grain systems released prior.

Vectrex, this should replace the Commodore 64 on the list.

TI-99 4/A: should replace Spectrum

Sega Master System: first generation

Some not in my collection but are still sweet looking, better than most on the list, but I guess it's all opinion in the end.

PC-FX
Bandai Playdia
Apple Pippin was pretty sweet looking too.
JVC 'Xye
Neo-Geo AES

You forgot to mention the NEO GEO with it's amazing design and controller. It wreaked elitism. Only the elite special people could have it with it's insane price tag. Designed from the future with their motto "The Future is Now" Pro-Gear Spec Advanced Entertainment System. It below Super Nintendo and Genesis out of the water. Nothing could beat it until the Playstation 1 came out.

Wow amazing comment

Well I don't think the writer has to much experience with consoles other than maybe Google Images. Here are some from my personal collection that should have made the list.

PC-Engine Duo R is probably my favorite.

Atari 5200 should be the Atari system on the list not the bland 2600, which at the time, there were already wood grain systems released prior.

Vectrex, this should replace the Commodore 64 on the list.

TI-99 4/A: should replace Spectrum

Sega Master System: first generation

Some not in my collection but are still sweet looking, better than most on the list, but I guess it's all opinion in the end.

PC-FX
Bandai Playdia
Apple Pippin was pretty sweet looking too.
JVC 'Xye
Neo-Geo AES

Seriously guys, not much beats the Xbox 360 Slim in terms of design. Sony's PS4 looks alright, but all those straight edges makes it pretty dull. The SNES was fairly well designed as well, considering it's time. No Atari or SEGA console even makes the list. :)

Why choose the sx 64 when there was a console version of the commodore 64. It was the c64 gs. I had one. Also I think the original playstation should be up there... its design was iconic.

I like Techspot and have done for years. I like that the comments section sometimes has a bit of edge and sometimes we bring a bit of swearing to the proceedings.

I know I found reading that article jarring when the writer wrote "**** it" when talking about the ZX Spectrum. Someone said he writes for someone else so maybe its a shared article. Still seems out of place to me. I would prefer if it didn't become the norm.

God I feel old..

I like Techspot and have done for years. I like that the comments section sometimes has a bit of edge and sometimes we bring a bit of swearing to the proceedings.

I know I found reading that article jarring when the writer wrote "**** it" when talking about the ZX Spectrum. Someone said he writes for someone else so maybe its a shared article. Still seems out of place to me. I would prefer if it didn't become the norm.

God I feel old..

Careful now, your monocle is showing! On a more serious note, I don't think you need to worry. TechSpot is ad-funded, I'm guessing. Most likely Google ads, yes? I was looking into this for my own website, but I couldn't possibly restrain myself enough to qualify for the their program. The occasional swearword isn't enough to be disqualified, but I don't do occasional. I'm working on something new, though, and keeping it clean just in case I want to try the ads route. :)

Of course, preferences may vary, by the "portable" C64? Seriously?

If we are going to include computer systems, the vaporware Atari 1450XLD was probably the best looking PC of the time (actually, some people were able to get their hands on one, so it wasn't 100% vaporware.)

And IIRC, despite the name, I believe the "Spectrum" was still only B/W (like it's sibling the ZX-81).

I owned a 3DO and I have to say every game I had on this vs the playstation variants were much better on the 3DO. The video quality and sound were all fair superior, I remember comparing the original need for speed video scenes and there was hardly any compression artifacts on the 3DO compared to the playstation, the sound in return fire was just no where near on the playstation. I think the only thing that made these console loose in the market was a lack of high end games. The playstation had some cracking titles such as Wipeout, Tomb raider, Gran Turismo and Tekken which is probably the reason for its success compared to titles on the 3DO such as Road Road, Need for Speed, Po'ed, Gex, Clayfighters which were mainly remakes of 16bit console games.

Though we owned the 2600 with the wooden front the last released version which was more readily available between 80-85 was much more common in my household and friends houses.

atari2600jrB

Of course, preferences may vary, by the "portable" C64? Seriously?

If we are going to include computer systems, the vaporware Atari 1450XLD was probably the best looking PC of the time (actually, some people were able to get their hands on one, so it wasn't 100% vaporware.)

And IIRC, despite the name, I believe the "Spectrum" was still only B/W (like it's sibling the ZX-81).

Spectrum had a small palette of 8 colours including Black, White and Magenta!! and suffered from goddawful colour clash as a result. Definitely not B/W only.

Back