Memory not showing up as 4 gb ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

triiifashions

i just installed 2 more gb memory to a asus an8 sli delux that already had 2 gb.

however when i looked on control panel ,system ,hardware it is just showing 2.75 gb???

i looked in bios and it is reading 4096 but when i boot up windows only shows 2.75

im stumped

any help would be appriciated

thanks in advance

Because.....2 to the 32nd= 4 gigabytes

I'm assuming, the system is working correctly, AND you have a 32 bit OS in place. The OS must assign memory addresses to everything in the computer, not just RAM. So, since the most it can remember is 4GB, all the hardware addresses are subtracted from the total, and what's left is assigned to RAM. 2.75GB is about right. Besides,without some command line trickery, Windows only assigns a max a 2GB to any application. The moral of the story is install a 64 bit OS or take what you have, which is plenty. My machine has 2GB and another 1GB is in the wind. (should have it Monday). The price of the 512 x 2 kits FINALLY went down to half of the 1G x 2 kits. Prior to that it was a monetary conundrum, buy 2GB and waste it or pay too much (per megabyte) for the smaller kit.

captaincranky said:
I'm assuming, the system is working correctly, AND you have a 32 bit OS in place. The OS must assign memory addresses to everything in the computer, not just RAM. So, since the most it can remember is 4GB, all the hardware addresses are subtracted from the total, and what's left is assigned to RAM. 2.75GB is about right. Besides,without some command line trickery, Windows only assigns a max a 2GB to any application. The moral of the story is install a 64 bit OS or take what you have, which is plenty. My machine has 2GB and another 1GB is in the wind. (should have it Monday). The price of the 512 x 2 kits FINALLY went down to half of the 1G x 2 kits. Prior to that it was a monetary conundrum, buy 2GB and waste it or pay too much (per megabyte) for the smaller kit.
I learned something today. :)

what r the 64 bit os's? and what is say a me or a 98 is xp the only 64?

and where do i look to see what i have?

thanks again

Will the real 64 Bit OS Please stand up

Windows 2000 & ME are 32 bit. XP home & Pro are available as 64 Bit. Natively All Windows (Home, MCE, & Pro are 32 Bit. Vista is available as both 32 & 64 bit.
As was mentioned earlier some Linux distros are available in 64 bit. As of now, some applications and drivers have compatibility issues with 64 bit OSes. You can be reasonably that your OS is 32 bit, a 64 bit you would have had to buy and install. Very few PCs , if any ship with 32 bit OS pre-installed. You can be about 99% sure you don't have a 64 bit OS, because the RAM you installed was not recognized.

Your Motherboard is 939 right? If I'm correct that board has trouble reading 4GB of memory. You should update your BIOS.

Note: If you have a 32 bit OS than that also contributed to the loss of memory.

That's a fair assumption......

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Not Home.

A typo? I guess you meant 64-bit.

Not a typo as such (32 is spelled correctly), more like a temporary loss of consciousness. Yes, I meant 64 bit, good catch.

wow great help but i need more

still wondering if i need to go with xp 64 or go with vista 64
running a asus an8-sli delux motherboard with two geforce 7600 gs evga video cards and a amd athlon 64 2.41 ghz processor

thanks again

Mystery Memory Map in Motherboard Manual

First, the amount of RAM necessary is NOT hardware dependent. Second, the amount of RAM necessary isn't operating system dependent. (for the most part, Vista likes more than XP). So then, what is it dependent on? well, on the application software you're using. Video & photo editing software, flight simulators and some others love RAM, the more the merrier. But, 2.8 GBs is enough to manipulate 300 Megabyte files in photoshop. So, are we trying to render feature length films on a deadline? Don't know, do you?
If you right click on "All Programs">"Accessories">"system Tools">"System Information", A window will open. In the left pane click on "Hardware Resources"> click + to expand it, then cick on "Memory". You will see all the funny looking hexadecimal addresses and the hardware they are attached to.
Go back and read my first post.
Now, if you need the additional memory, fine, If this has become a matter of principal, to wit, "I bought this memory and I want it recognized", then change the OS to a 64 bit one. As to whether to install XP or Vista, that's a matter of taste. XP is going out of style, Vista is coming in, if that helps.

please read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.

Some motherboards also don't work well with more than 2 sticks.

Asus is also picky about RAM.

My Feelings Are Hurt

jeffkrol said:
32 bit OS's and CPU's can handle 4gb RAM....
But it's not easy :)
http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?ID=69
More stuff....
http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html
Personally, I'd stick w/ 2GB....
Short and sweet... 32 bit Os's have a 4gb limit, but the addresses have to be used for
"other things" than RAM, so you lose some address space that should have been assigned to RAM. Normally you lose a gig or so, not as much as you have..

Was my first post, an explanation of this very concept somehow inadequate?

My TI-30x IIs calculator says 2 to the 32 equals: 4,294,967,296 . This is the largest that can be described using 32 places in binary mathematics.
This number really isn't a subjective issue. It remains the same whether you update the BIOS, Humor a picky motherboard, or, unfortunately, read the guide. It's all the addresses your getting minus the hardware. We could discuss Intel's EMT (which is, as I understand it is 36 bit), but.....

El Diablo Real, Por Favor, Levantase

"Bobby Bouche' - Little girls are the devil!"

Tedster: A young girl was the devil in "The Last Temptation of Christ" as well.
I don't know if you've ever seen the movie, (Wilem DaFoe was Jesus), But it sure did stir up some controversy.

captaincranky said:
Was my first post, an explanation of this very concept somehow inadequate?

My TI-30x IIs calculator says 2 to the 32 equals: 4,294,967,296 . This is the largest that can be described using 32 places in binary mathematics.
This number really isn't a subjective issue. It remains the same whether you update the BIOS, Humor a picky motherboard, or, unfortunately, read the guide. It's all the addresses your getting minus the hardware. We could discuss Intel's EMT (which is, as I understand it is 36 bit), but.....
Sorry to reiterate what you said, I was in-between a few things and not particularily paying full attention :)
Never hurts to repeat a fact. Personally I thought that losing 1.25GB was a bit excessive. Not to mention that posting some "tech stuff" type links helps people a bit more than "didn't you hear what I said?" type answers.
Anyways I bow to your superior wisdom.........:)

Welcome To The Seamy Underbelly of Computers........

We all need to give thanks for the abstraction layers that shelter us from the incessant pushing and shoving of the grimy, little, unwashed masses of nameless ones and zeros that lie a few layers beneath our prim and proper GUIs.
My question here has become more philosophical in nature. Whether or not triiifashions actually needs that much memory enough to necessitate installing a 64 bit OS. Or, if it's a matter of principal, "I paid for it, I want it". Like that.
It seems to me if that much memory would only improve your situation a little bit, then why waste more even money on a 64 bit OS to register it when still, 64 bit OSes still have more issues to deal with than do the 32s. Simply the limits of return on investment. It's not terribly unrealistic to say that a couple hundred bucks (USD) could be spent on indignation, not necessity.
I'm attaching a memory map from one of my Intel boards, and, if it's to scale the 2.85 out of 4 Gig figure sounds about right. Plus, that number seems to be what other people are registering when installing 4 Gig into 32 bit OS's.
All that having been said, the fun continues below in a new post.

Attachments

• Memory Map Intel D915G001.jpg
    Memory Map Intel D915G001.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 20
Oh Cruel EMT, Why Make A liar Out Of Me.....?

I just installed another 1 GB of memory in my other computer. This brings the total to 3 GB. Wonder of wonders, Windows now reports this as 2.98 GB. This is about full recognition since BIOS commandeers some memory. There are qualifiers: Only 1 USB device is connected( a joystick), This is an G965WM Intel board with EMT, The CPU is a Celeron D 356 (it's a Cedar Mill 64 bit). The board in question states that it supports 8 GB of memory (Well, not the board, obviously, the manual). I think (think may be overstated), that by adding a 3rd abstraction layer it is possible to support more than 4 GB of memory with a 32 bit OS. <(Starting with "I think", that's speculation).
As to if (having committed to installing a 64 bit OS), it should be XP or Vista,
consider this, I believe that MS has fixed date certain for withdrawal of support for XP. This would mean no more security updates or tech support. So, you would be growing into Vista but growing out of XP. In either case I would clean the HDD, and install a full version (not an upgrade) of the OS. As always, get a second opinion on that.
But for free we have, Plan C: Download an install a 64 bit version of Linux. Ubuntu Linux: http://www.ubuntu.com/ can be run from directly from the CD drive without installing (I can only speak with certainty on the 32 bit version). Trying something on before you buy it always seems a sensible course of action.
Trivia: Burning a DVD with Nero, memory usage tops out at about 750 MB with 2 GB RAM installed. With 3 GB of RAM installed, burning a DVD with Nero, memory usage tops out at about 750 MB. This with TV 1 hour episodes, I'll try something feature length later.
The issue with Vista, up until now, has been driver support. This applies especially to graphics drivers. So, Vista & 64 bits together could possibly double the aggravation. With respect to your particular cards, it might serve you well to post that question in the Audio-Video Forum.

wow

i didnt really expect this big of a turn out

i think the person i am hooking up is interested in showing off so the extra 200 bucks isnt really an issue

i was just wondering if anybody had any good to say about vista 64?

Well Now.....Nothing Says Affluence Like....

triiifashions said:
wow

i think the person i am hooking up is interested in showing off so the extra 200 bucks isnt really an issue

Why didn't you say so sooner?

You're the perfect candidate for a dual boot system! You could run a 64 bit version of Vista for appearances sake, and when you want to actually get something done, break out the 32 bit XP (any version).
Well, you're out of luck anybody saying something good about Vista. Well, it does get better after you break the seal and you can't return it.
In fact, I haven't heard anybody say anything nice about Bill Gates either recently! This because because the more of your money he can collect and then give a small percentage to charity, the better he makes himself look!
So then, who's your favorite charity?

Vista is pretty-looking but very buggy, not to mention a POS as far as product compatibility goes. I'd hate running anything called Norton or Symantec just because it's the only properly-running AV Vista supports. Until NOD32 (a properly working version) & the first (or second) Service Pack are released for Vista, I'm sticking to good ol' XP.

Anticipation.... Carly Simon

triiifashions said:
wow

Judging by Rage_3K's reply you're going to be waiting quite a while longer for that.

I think Vista needs an earthier approach to public relations... for example;
Bill Gates follows Angelina Jolie around and every child she adopts he gives them a courtesy copy of Vista Ultimate! "Saving the World, One Computer at a Time", the press release would cry out! Is warm fuzzy spin a cardinal sin?

im having this same issue but the prob for me is...my bios is showing 3 gigs in system props its showing 2.93 gigs of ram..i run cpu-z and it tells me i have all 4 ram seated in etc and in there showing 4 gigs of ram but how come not in the bios? =/ and im sure nothing is wrong with the ram as its seated and the system is running with out a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back