Memory problem, help~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor

Greetin

I currently own 512 ram pc133 at my current system.
After I brought a brand new stick of other 512 ram pc133 and installed it with my previous ram. Here is the hhe problem, when I started my pc up it didn't show it accurate amount like 1 gigz. :s

Any pro knew what seem to be the problem?

This what it show on aida32 on memory checks:

Physical Memory
Total 511 MB
Used 218 MB
Free 293 MB
Utilization 43 %

Swap Space
Total 1249 MB
Used 209 MB
Free 1040 MB
Utilization 17 %

Virtual Memory
Total 1761 MB
Used 427 MB
Free 1333 MB
Utilization 24 %

What does your system say at the POST (power on self test) ? & are you talking about the motherboard in your profile ( Chaintech 7AJA2(E) ) ?

Didou said:
What does your system say at the POST (power on self test) ? & are you talking about the motherboard in your profile ( Chaintech 7AJA2(E) ) ?

Hi Didou

I check and its shown 520000 at the POST when i start up my pc. "Ah" yes both of those old and new rams are on the motherboard (Chaintech 7AJA2(E) with 3 slots for the memory.

;)
Is there any way for me to help fix that problem? 8o)

Try them in memory-slots 1-3 or 2-3.
Insert only the new RAM in slot 1 and see if PC boots, with how much ram.
Check that the mem-sticks are fully inserted and the white catches at the side are both upright.

nod

I tried put the new ram at slot 1 boot pc and at the post it show only 524000 and after that I insert the rest of the 2 other old ram at slots 2 and 3. But there's no difference v.v~

Is there a bios setting where i could change that?

Try it with the new stick in slot 1 and ONLY one old stick in slot 2 or 3.
The mobo may not like to have 3 sticks in it if they are not all the same.
Also, look around for a newer BIOS if available, you never know!

realblackstuff said:
Try it with the new stick in slot 1 and ONLY one old stick in slot 2 or 3.
The mobo may not like to have 3 sticks in it if they are not all the same.
Also, look around for a newer BIOS if available, you never know!

hi

I try that method you mention above as well. Don't seem to work or pc not able to read more then 512 ram I bet.

I think bios flash would solve the problem. But buying the bios flash thingy cost like $70 bucks. >.<;

Guess i waste 69$ +25$ s/h from egghead on that new memory.

What are you talking about, $70?!? All you need to do is go to your mobo manufacturer's website and get a BIOS update. Then run the app it gives you to make a bootable floppy disk. Reboot with the floppy disk in the drive. If it still boot to Windoze, then reboot and enter the BIOS to change the boot order, then repeat. The floppy should guide you through the flashing process.

me(who else?) said:
What are you talking about, $70?!? All you need to do is go to your mobo manufacturer's website and get a BIOS update. Then run the app it gives you to make a bootable floppy disk. Reboot with the floppy disk in the drive. If it still boot to Windoze, then reboot and enter the BIOS to change the boot order, then repeat. The floppy should guide you through the flashing process.
hi!
I took your advice and finally got the update on the BIOS webby.
Flash the new bios and it say dmi something success! at POST but.. it still at 512000 and not 1 gigz :(

Should i try re sit the rams all over again or other bios setting i need to adjust? I alway set to default optimize setting for my pc. :wave:

Please give us all the details (manufacturer, size of MB, type, whatever information you have) on ALL 3 sticks.
Either they are not compatible, or the new stick is not working.
Have you tried it in another PC?

realblackstuff said:
Please give us all the details (manufacturer, size of MB, type, whatever information you have) on ALL 3 sticks.
Either they are not compatible, or the new stick is not working.
Have you tried it in another PC?
Evening!

The new ram i brought was sdram pc133 512 mb Rosewell brand.
The other two i doesn't know what's their brand but both are 256 mb sdram pc133.

I install the new stick first and it work fine. It just that after i installed the 2 other stick 1 by 1.. it just didn't add up :x

But if i install the old ram first, the new one won't add up as well. v.v

Here's my motherboard specs:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 09/12/2001-8363-686B-JA6LMC2CC-00
Motherboard Name Chaintech 7AJA2(E)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT133A

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Chaintech Computer Co Ltd.
Product Information http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_main.asp#MP13
BIOS Download http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/Download/dl_SubCate.asp?DCSNo=4

PS. Maybe my mobo only support dimm and not sdram ? >"<

As far as I know, all your sticks need to be the same size, you can't mix and match. If you're lucky they might swap them for one 512 stick.

Woot!

I got it to work, i swap the old ram at the first slot 1 then the brand spanky new one at slot 2. All in all i got over 715+ mb atm. The last slot doesn't seem to work :x

Try and swap the second stick of 256MB into slot 1, keep new 512MB in slot 2. If it then does not work, probably that old stick is gone.
Did you try them in another PC?

realblackstuff said:
Try and swap the second stick of 256MB into slot 1, keep new 512MB in slot 2. If it then does not work, probably that old stick is gone.
Did you try them in another PC?

hi

Other pc is ddr ram. Won't fit my pc133 :/

I discovery that the old ram keep giving me alot of problem... Explorer alway crashed, game alway crash to this blue screen saying something about memory dumps. Now I just keep the new memory only since it never give me any problem.

thz yall for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back