Memory Problem - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnoldo

Ok i recently bought this

I was using 2x256Mb 333mhz on a MSI kn72 but thought it was time for a upgrade so I bought 1Gb of Ram. I installed it and the computer booted up. Result...I thought. I loading everything up and started to play my favourite game....Counter Strike Source. After playing for about 10-15mins the game suddenly froze. Then a blue screen flickered up for 1 sec and the computer rebooted itself. I didnt get to see what was on the blue screen. Anyways when I then logged in It said that windows had "Recovered from a serious Error". I was also getting other errors after this, like the internet was freezing etc etc.

Anyone help me out here?

P.s - I have three screen shots of the errors and the details that they give. I was able to put into a word document. If you need this to work out the problem pm and ill send you this through email.

Ok there could be a couple of differnet problems...
1.Is the RAM seated right? Contacts nice and clean?
2. Is there a compatiblily issue..(long shot but i would just glance over the MB manual.
3. You have a bad stick of ram (depending on the brand, this could either be unlikely or very likely.)

I would reseat, reread, and try memtest on the new stick. Memtest can be found here

Sean

Arnoldo said:
Well its coming up as DDR 400 at the start and in system its coming up as 1Gb so im lost. :-S

DDR 400 is not the amount of ram..rather the speed of the ram. 1GB is the size.
As far as memtest goes look here for a list of the versions. A ISO version for a CD-ROM, and there also is a version for a floopy, USB key etc. If you have a floppy then i would go with that.

Sean

Tedster said:
Use MEMTEST86 (Dos-based and self-booting), it is more thorough.

memtest86 is x86 based, not DOS based. This is what allows it to be run on virtually all x86 platforms.

But yes, I agree, it is perhaps the most in-depth memory testing utility you can get for x86. We use it at my work religiously. It can be booted from floppy, CDROM and over the network (PXE).

New memory is this http://www.geil.com.tw/portal/product_400_tv_dc.php

Everything think else is running better since I re-installed the memory and lifted 1 of them to the other free slot. The mobo and parts are very dusty. Dont know wat to do. Could i vacuum it? Anyways it only crashed when I played games....So ill play a game now and tell you how it goes.

Cheers In advance :)

Nope...this time she is just making the error noise and then goes back into windows. Tried this twice with Counter Strike. This was after just 30 seconds in the game too. :-(

Anymore advice?

Also tell me exactly what I have to do to get that memory think to work. I have both Cd Drive and Floppy.

Cheers

Just tried the crucial memory test just to make sure. Its reading it too at 512mb at drr400.

Doesnt that mean there is a problem with something else or a setting in my bios?

Cheers

Ok atm I have the new 512mb 400 and the old 256mb 333 in. Shes running fine and the settings have been bumped down to 333.

Anyon explain why i cant have the 2 new ones on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back