Memory Problems in Dual-Channel Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Quick background, I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board, running a socket 939 AMD X24800, with 1 Gb(2x512Mb) memory sticks, I believe were manufactured by Infineon.

I noticed my computer was blue screening quite a bit recently while trying to encode / burn DVDs. I took the standard advice and ran memtest while I had my 2 x 512Mb sticks in slots A1 and B1 (for dual-channel mode). After 22 passes, it had 106 errors.

I proceeded to test each stick individualy in the B1 slot, and both were allowed to run 40+ passes, with no errors. I also ran both sticks in the B1 and B2 slots, and allowed it to run 20+ passes, with no errors. Last night I tried dual-channel again, but this time the memory was in slots A2 and B2. Considerably less errors, but still had errors, and all were on test 7.

I've deduced it must be a problem with the motherboard, likely the northbridge chipset that controls the memory. Any other ideas to get my memory running in dual-channel mode again, or should I just forget it and use the solution I discovered?

You might try changing the memory voltages/timings in the bios, and make sure that memory type is supported by your Asus motherboard

Thanks for the advice tmagic, but I'm positive this is a vendor from the QVL. I remember doing a lot of research when I initially built the system back in 2006.

ASUS has some kind of 'ai booster' overclocking program, which I had on at 103% overclock, but turned that back to the plain jane 100%. One of the issues I'm curious about is the memory speed readings in memtest. In dual channel mode they're usually running at DDR402, and I'm not positive if it was during my single stick test, or the double stick test in B1 and B2, but the memory read at DDR360?

I will take a look at what these are supposed to be set at. I believe it's 2.5 ,3 , 3 , 3 timing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back