Memory Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 4500 computer that only has 128 mb of RAM installed and I wanted to upgrade it to at least 512. So, I went to the Kingston.com website and put in the computer info and it told me that I needed to purchase DDR PC2100 memory. I went to a local dealer and got the memory, and when I installed it, the computer worked fine for a minute and then it started freezing up. I went back and switched the memory around every way I could think of and finally, I just took the old memory out and kept the memory I had just purchased in. Nothing!!!! When I restarted the computer, the icons on the desktop wouldn't even come back up! Does anyone have any clues as to what I am doing wrong?????

Your Compupter has the following specs for upgrading Ram:
Maximum Memory: 1024
Number Of Slots: 2
Storage Capacity: 512 MB
Technology: DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed: 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
I think that you are way better off upgrading to 1GB of Ram as that will allow you to be somewhat productive with the new software requirements these days.
You said in your post that you bought PC2100 Ram. That is the wrong ram for your system. you need at minimum PC3200 DDR SDRAM. With DDR ram you can also "usually" buy even faster DDR ram and it will clock down to run at the speed your computer uses. But Ram doesn't clock up. Sometimes faster RAM is cheaper than the older styles and speeds. This is what I did with my DDR2 Ram upgrade and it worked great.
If you have any more questions just ask.
SUB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back