Memory upgrade for intel 845 ebg2 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
my specs are:
intel 845ebg2 with 2.4 pentium procesor
my current memory is two 256 sticks of pc-2100 266hz

my question is what is the fastest, best memory for that board
(intels states this board can handle 2 of 1gig sticks)
please be specific because i know next to nothing on memory (always took what the sales person gave me)

i know for a fact i can put pc3200 in becasue the company that sold me this board said it is compatible.
so please people read again my post, i know i can replace the memory to the exact same thing that it came with, but several generation of memory came after the board was already made and intel could not have writen it in thier mobo details unless they had a time machine.

placing faster ram in a system will not necessarily work. The salesman has no idea what he's talking about. Many sales reps are technologically incompetant. I would go with the manual. I'm not saying it won't work, but more than likely it won't.

The FAQs section addresses this type of question.

I'd go with what DonNagual said.

I find myself losing interest in providing free help REAL quick when people get snotty.

If that wasn't your intention, then I appolgize (I have a terrible cold), but it sure came accross that way.

You may be able to stick some PC3200 in there, but your system is going to automatically underclock it to PC2100, so what's the point?

The information in your manual will remain relevant throughout the board's lifetime, regardless of what new technology is released. Your board's FSB is SET and does not change, so the CPU and ram you can use in there is also set.

DonNagual said:
I find myself losing interest in providing free help REAL quick when people get snotty.

If that wasn't your intention, then I appolgize (I have a terrible cold), but it sure came accross that way.

You may be able to stick some PC3200 in there, but your system is going to automatically underclock it to PC2100, so what's the point?

The information in your manual will remain relevant throughout the board's lifetime, regardless of what new technology is released. Your board's FSB is SET and does not change, so the CPU and ram you can use in there is also set.

Ok i get it, every mobo has one type of memory he can use.
makes sense.

?????????

I received a message from itisi asking me to put him on my block list, and to never answer his posts again.

Yeesh. It's a thankless job.

Don, it's a thankless job alright, and the pay is woeful :haha:

PC3200 {DDR400} will work fine, it's backwards compatible. ie will just run at your default bus speed.

Products like OCZ, Mushkin etc all offer premium RAM that runs at tight latencies, though they cost a fair bit more than Generic RAM. Though with that system, a couple of sticks of generic would be fine.

DonNagual said:
?????????

I received a message from itisi asking me to put him on my block list, and to never answer his posts again.

Yeesh. It's a thankless job.

Poor guy... He doesn´t want to get good, real and quick help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back