Memory Upgrade Issues

By spongmonkey
Nov 14, 2005
  1. Hey all, I'm new and was wondering if anyone would be able to lend a hand.

I recently bought 2 extra sticks of 512mb DDR RAM to upgrade my machine from 1gb to 2gb. My mobo is a K7 Triton, and I've been running my existing 2 sticks in dual enabled for a while now without problems.

I'm having some trouble adding the new RAM however - both pairs work fine on their own, but when all 4 sticks are present, the memory count at post only counts up to 1GB. If I have 3 sticks in, the count reaches 1.5gb, but the machine then becomes unstable (lots of crashes/memory errors).

I tried to match the sticks as closely as possible (all 4 are PC3200, CL3), so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas other than pairing a brand new set of 1gb sticks?

Thanks a lot,

2. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 132

Are all of the sticks made by the same manufacturer?

If not, it could be that the two manufacturer's products are incompatible running together.
  3. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 107

I agree with Eric Legge - most likely your sticks of memory dun agree with one another. Have you tried checking which memory brand they are?
  4. spongmonkey

spongmonkey TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

That simple eh? I suppose I'll RMA the memory and get a pair of fresh 1gb sticks. Thought I'd be ok if I matched speeds etc. Ah well, live and learn I suppose.

Thanks again.
  5. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 107

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.