memory upgrade/mobo issue

By FooDew13
Jun 17, 2002
  1. Ordered 2 sticks of (Crucial) 256 PC2100 DDR RAM and just got them today. First tried to install both together and at the boot screen system stalled on NVRAM check. I've tried putting each of the sticks in my computer one at a time in each slot and it works then.

Is this a mobo issue or are the 2 sticks just incompatible with eachother? I ordered both from crucial so I kind of figured that all would be well, but I guess I was wrong. Tried calling Crucial tech support and the guy I talked to had no idea what to do.

Any ideas? Defective mobo? It's a PC Chips 817, with a athlonxp 1600, 300W power, so I have no idea what could be wrong. Thanks for your help.

(*edited by mod)
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Honestly - probably mobo - search for a bios update. Hope there is one.

3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

As most mobo's comes with 3 RAM slots, try putting them in different slots...
    Try 1 and 3, or 2 and 3 if you allready tried 1 and 2... There has been problems with this in the past, though I don't know if there are any known problems with your mobo...

The BIOS upgrade that Papa suggested is also a very good idea...!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.