Memory upgrade problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
before my mem. upgrade i had two slots pertaining to memory, one which contained 128mb, the other which had none. i decided to upgrade and purchased 2 sticks of 256mb ram. upon adding the memory, i went to reboot and realized the monitor would stay in off mode and never fully turning on.

the only way i was able to allow the monitor to turn on was by putting the 128mb ram back to the slot it was originally in. I can also add the 256mb to the other slot, however it is not recognized in my system bios.

someone plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to know more about your current system. Please go into your profile and fill in all the info there.

We also need to know what kind of memory you currently have in there. You can find out by running this program on your computer:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

and telling us what it says about your memory.

Sounds like the memory you bought may not be supported by your motherboard. Too early to tell without more info.

Gateway Brookings
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Board: Gateway Brookings
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP13 04/19/2001

128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' is Empty

Do you have your serial number for your gateway?

I am 99% sure that you bought memory with a faster rating than your motherboard. The info you gave above is not enough to be able to tell.

If you have your gateway serial number, all is quite simple. Look on your case, it should be on there somewhere.

Some 100fsb/pc100 systems will accept just about any pc100 or pc133 memory, and some will accept pc100 mem only. I have run into both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back