TechSpot

Memory upgrade

By red98
May 21, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im new to the forums, but i have a quick question i hope someone can answer.

i have a toshiba satelite p15-s470 notebook. it comes with 512 mb pc2100, i want to upgrade to atleast pc2700 if possible. does anybody know if anything faster than pc2100 will be compatible?

any help would be appreciated
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The board and the chip probably only run at PC-2100 speeds, which means you could probably put PC-2700 in it, but it will still run at PC-2100.

And the difference would be virtually negligable. Especially since laptops are awful at gaming (which is one of the few places it might actually make a difference).

I'm curious to see other opinions on this though.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

4. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

Yes....heh, laptops....awful at gaming....right :p

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03NTM=

Thats one HELL of a laptop.......oh if only it had duel channel memory....and a battery life of longer than 45 mins...it would be perfect.

Back to the point, upgrading to 2700 RAM would be of little help. If you are desperate for a ram upgrade get yourself twice the amount - it might help boost your numbers a bit.

Steg
  5. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

that's why laptops are awful at gaming. :cool:
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Laptops(portables rather, can't really call most of them laptops anymore due to heat) are very picky about RAM, many of them will not default to lower RAM speeds like desktops will, so if you put pc2700 in a board that supports pc2100 may not work. Some companies are nice enough to make a note of this in the specs for their systems.
  7. red98

red98 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thats exactly what i was afraid of....thanks for the input
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.