By jimh33
Jul 19, 2007
  1. have a question have an hp 8034n pc with 2gb pc4200 memory i would like to add another 2 gb my question is om my motherboard there are 2 blue slots which the 2 sticks are in now and 2 empty black slots if i buy a matched pair of 1gb sticks do i put both of those in the remaining black slots .sounds dumb but hp said i would put 1oem stick and one of the new sticks which is going to be ultra i think in the blue slots and 1 oem and 1 new stick in the other slots .in otherwards they want me to alternate 1-3 -2- 4 with the memory said because to enable the dual please.
  2. wiscountryboy

wiscountryboy TS Rookie Posts: 60

whip out your manual for your machine, then once youve determined which 2 slots are for each ram channel you can put the ultra sticks in 1 channel and the other hp sticks in the other channel

i would advise not to mix the two simply for compatibilitys sake
  3. jimh33

jimh33 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

in my 8034 n they have both sticks of memory on channel 1 i took one out and moved it to slot 3 now its 1and 3 but how do i enable dual channel mode? and when i get 2 more gb i will put hp memory in slot 1 and 3 and ultra memory in slot 2and 4?
  4. wiscountryboy

wiscountryboy TS Rookie Posts: 60

again enabeling dual channel can be found in your owners manual...but i know that its in your bios
  5. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Most manufacturers now have a hardware manual for their MoBos in pdf format on their web sites. That manual should answer your questions.

It is in the BIOS you select the memory access mode. Also, I don't think it matters which sticks of memory go in which slots but I'm not certain. Memory is memory so long as they are of the matching type.
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

Black & Blue, My Memory is Bruised.......

Industry practice is that each memory channel has 2 different color sockets. Intel uses blue for 0, the one that must be populated first, then black is the other socket (#1) for the SAME channel. If I had 2 sticks of RAM I would install one in each blue channel FIRST. Then I would expand the memory by installing the second 2 DIMMs in the black sockets.
    One caveat: read the damned instructions anyway, and look forward to only having the system recognize about 3 GIGs of the installed RAM (unless the board BIOS is 64 bit enabled). This has been covered many times on this site, so do yourself a favor and poke around until you find these relevant threads.
    Here is Tedsters guide to adding RAM, always a good read:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.