Memtest error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

I am running memtest
so far at the 536% level, I get 3 errors so far that all say
Pair XXXXXXX does not store values accurately, (Cannot accurately store data)
The pair of Corsair 1GB each sticks are about 6months old
Do I need to worrry about this?

Here are some BIOS settings, could this be the problem?
Voltage 1.84V
Setting Automatic
A Channel: 5.0-4-4-18
B Channel: Same as A Channel
tCL =5
tRCD =5
tRP =5
tRASmin =18
DDR 2 800
1024 X 2

If the memory specs match your motherboard auto settings abd you still have memtest failures, replace the memory modules. Corsair is good kit but even they have occasional problems.

Memtest errors aren't always indicatative of bad RAM. But they are telling you what you have right then isn't going to be good. What I'm saying is your RAM might not necessarly be bad, but you won't be able to run either in that motherboard or with those timings/voltages, or both. So if you aren't running at the speeds/voltages either the motherboard or RAM wants you should change it to that and retest. If it still gives the error and you don't have another machine to test them in I'd just send them back.

If you are running your RAM at stock speeds, then any memtest errors are not good and indicate bad ram. While not 100% fail proof, memtest is pretty accurate. Replace the ram. I do not recommend fooling around with timings or voltages. This is a quick way to burn your ram out.

Its a good thing I didn't say anything about increasing timings or voltages then. I said if you weren't running stock you should set it to stock.

Thanks to all for your reply
Here is how things have progressed
I changed my voltage from 1.84 to 1.96V (Being conservative)
Other
In the bios, (Under Memory) on the bottom there is some information about the memory in the slots I cannot change, it reads: Channel A slot 0, 5-4-4-18 Channel B Slot 0, 5-4-4-18
Above (Under Memory still) if I change to manual, I can make changes in the voltage and timing. Before they read as follows: 5.0-5-5-18. They now read :5.0-4-4-18, after I made the changes. I did this to match the values in Channel A & B values below.
Also I noticed my Bios could be outdated currently it is XXXXXXXX2212 and the newest version as of 9/6/07 is XXXXXXXXX2792 with many versions in between. I downloaded the newst version but have yet to install, nor have I done a memtest retest. (Waiting for wife to leave the house)
For what it is worth, CPU-Z under the SPD tab reads: 5-5-5-18.

I do not have another machine to test them, so I may send them back.
I did play Oblivion and ran it hard and had no crashes, but that could be just a fluke.

My concern here is that you are making too many changes at once without seeing which of them does or does not have an effect. Updating the BIOS is all well and good (and potentially a bad move!) but I would rather be happy that everything else is at spec before moving on to the next change.

i booted up today after the changes for the first time
First time My monitor showed nothing so I booted again.
I got to windows and ran oblivion and got the BSOD and it shut down and restarted on its own.
I changed 5.0-4-4-18 back to 5.0-5-5-18 and left the voltage at 1.96V
I am running memtest now and got an error at 655%. Yesterday I had 4 errors in the same amount of time
I am at 830% and just the one error.
I wonder if I bump the voltage just a little bit more say like about .4 Volts that the ram will run better.
Have not yet updated the bios but have the program on my desktop.

since you messed with voltages there is a good chance you've burned your ram out. We cannot help you if you do not take our advice.

the corsair tech recommended I run them at 2.0V and no more than 2.1V for all DDR2 ram sticks. and since they are DDR2 Corsair sticks under lifetime warrarty, I choose the Corsair person's advise
I took your advise into consideration and made the best decision I know how.
Please do not feel I do not value your opinion, I just had to make a decsion.
So far all is well and will continue to monetor the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back