Memtest errors with both sticks installed only?

By crew_dawg16
Nov 13, 2005
  1. Hi guys, my computer has had crashing problems while playing 3d games like Battlefield 1942 for some time now and I'm trying to figure it out.

Here are my specs:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton core 400 Mhz FSB
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200 Dual Channel RAM
    XFX Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT AGP 8X
    On board audio
    Antec 350W PSU with 21A on the 12V+
    I am running winows xp professional SP2

I have plenty of cooling, updated drivers, etc... All of the general answers have already been tried.

However, when I tested my memory last night, both sticks went through 7 passes with no errors. I then installed both in dual channel config, and got 5 errors in 7 passes. I re-arranged them to single channel mode and still got errors. The CAS is currently 2-3-3-6 which is advertised speed on the memory. I can't figure out why this is happening.

On a side note, my computer now randomly reboots outside of 3d applications, here are my minidumps:
  2. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Posts: 200

I am wondering if your power supply is a little low. If you have a Fry's nearby they will take your ram and test it for you.
  3. crew_dawg16

crew_dawg16 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I don't have a Fry's close to me, but I do work at Best Buy and we have the Geek Squad.

Would a PSU cause errors in memtest though?
  4. crew_dawg16

crew_dawg16 TS Rookie Topic Starter

nobody knows huh?

Last night, I did a clean install of Windows and updated my BIOS to version 1013. I had previously gone to 1008 because 1013 was giving me problems. Anyway, I ran Memtest overnight and only got one error in 12 passes. What would cause that to happen?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.