Messed Up Keyboard

By DallasFrog
Apr 6, 2009
  1. When I type the letter "c", I get the letters, "dc". When I type the letter "d", I get "dc." For the letter "e", I get "3e" on the screen. The same thing happens for several characters on the keyboard of my Toshiba laptop. I just received the new keyboard that I ordered and the same thing happens. My deductive reasoning tells me that the old keyboard was good. Does anybody have any ideas? Is there a virus that does that?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

What happens when you attach an external USB keyboard? (I'm sure you must have one plugged into a Desktop PC somewhere)

If you are using a brand new keyboard (with exact same results from the old keyboard) then obviously cleaning the keyboard won't help

Yes I'd say have a look at: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

You may also try resetting the Bios, usually accessed by pressing a key shown on power up of your laptop (usually DEL) then locating Bios defaults, and applying it, then Save and Exit Bios Setup screen
  3. DallasFrog

DallasFrog TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have plugged another keyboard into the laptop and it works just fine. I just reset the BIOS to the default settings and that didn't work. Bummer. I will try the 8 step process tomorrow when I have a lot more time to devote to this project. Thanks
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually if the external works, then it sounds more like a connection issue

I'd unplug it, then turn it upsidedown and see if any paperslips fall out :)
    Or just spray it with a high pressure air can. Make sure all loose parts are accounted for though ;)
    Then securely (push hard - not too hard!) the connection back in
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.