Metro: Redux Benchmarked, Performance Review

Steve

Staff member

metro redux benchmarked performance review gpu cpu metro 2033 performance metro last light metro redux

Already one of the most iconic and atmospheric first-person shooters around, Metro has received some post-release polish that should intrigue existing fans while attracting some new ones. Metro Redux features improved versions of both Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light, including completely remastered visuals such as advanced lighting, dynamic weather, more detailed characters with improved animation, more dynamic destruction and improved smoke, fire and particle effects. There are also several gameplay enhancements.

I've benchmarked my share of GPUs with both titles and while I'm looking forward to seeing Metro 2033's enhancements, I'm more curious to see how much 4A Games can outdo itself on Last Light considering it only arrived last year and was already one of the most visually pleasing shooters.

We used the latest AMD and Nvidia drivers for testing, using 22 DirectX 11 graphics card configurations from both companies covering all price ranges.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any fps difference or technical changes in ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP [3072MB] or with the one you benchmarked; Radeon R9 280X [3072MB]?

What happened with hd7950(boost)? It's way in the back, while 7870 and 270X being much faster!? Seems strange.

Hit CTRL + F5, I messed up the graphs and had to re-upload them. They might still be in the cache. Sorry about that.

This will be another great example of how slow today's topdog GPU's (even in double/triple SLi/Crossfire) are at running demanding games @ & above 1600p. Can't wait to see this game dismantle 4K setups. Like Crysis 3 (and several other demanding titles) it looks like it will require THREE 780Ti's for 4K gaming above 60FPS.....lol. Pathetic imo.

Last edited:
This is why I've stayed at 1200p Too much money needs to be spend to get playable fps at 1600p or above resolutions.

Wish there was an i5-2500K (still very popular) to compare with todays CPU

Wish there was an i5-2500K (still very popular) to compare with todays CPU
It would perform roughly on par with the 3570K (minus ~10% clock to clock) which is why it probably was not put since they already had a bunch of different CPU's to test. Its kinda hard to hit every little thing in a review and having this many CPU's already was a big pain I would assume.

Great to see, I was actually considering grabbing up the Metro Last Light Redux because I actually do not own my own copies of either game and wanted to play from start to finish. Cool to see what I can expect!

I bought Metro 2033 on steam sale a while ago. I still haven't played it because of the sheer number of games I still have in my steam list. can't find time to play them at all.

In some of the graphical comparisons I've seen, Redux actually looked worse at times.

In some of the graphical comparisons I've seen, Redux actually looked worse at times.

I would say there is no chance for 2033 Redux but I can see how some might find a few of the Last Light Redux changes to be inferior. Still overall I feel both Redux versions look better.

I wish for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. redux! All 3!
There are many games I wish they'd do a graphical remake of. Metro already had great graphics, but I have a feeling we might see a lot of older series being re-released with just graphics updates. Microsoft did it with the Half franchise, now metro.

There are too many good games that get overlooked today just because the graphics are bad/old.

Thanks for the testing. It appears to match what many users are seeing - less performance in the Redux version over the older versions. (sigh)

The one hole in testing I'd like to see filled is what happens when the games native Stereoscopic 3D is enabled at 720P and 1080P?

I would say there is no chance for 2033 Redux but I can see how some might find a few of the Last Light Redux changes to be inferior. Still overall I feel both Redux versions look better.

Here's a decent comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWe9L3Wp0JY

I'd say easily that Redux does look overall better, but there are a lot of times, especially when looking at the floors, where it seems as though Redux has lower quality textures. Some of the comments address why.

Back