Mic Probs after reformat - please help :)

By hednik
Nov 8, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ill make it simple. I had to reformat harddrive and after i did so I dont have the option to adjust mic properties. Also I cant use the microphone. Its just a regular plantronics desktop mic. I used to have to use the Office XP voice recog. software to use my mic, but wth the reformat I dont know where the Office software is to do so. Any other options I have or things that I can download? I just use it for TS and nothing else. Any help would be great.
  2. kirock

kirock Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,598

You have to reinstall Office software, in fact you have to reinstall all your software after a HDD format. This includes XP SP2 and any other XP updates.
  3. hednik

hednik Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I dont want to use the offfice software any more is there anoother program that will let me use a mic or does xp require office software to even use a mic? I reinstalled all updates available that I know of
  4. kirock

kirock Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,598

Usually your sound card has software for this, did you reinstall the drivers for this? Even if it's an on-board sound, the mobo manufac gives you a disk with drivers and apps on it.
  5. hednik

hednik Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

everything i read points me back to having to use the speech recognition software from Office XP which i cant reinstall. I also have an onbaord soundcard and have no idea who the manufactuer is. I just cant fathom that XP would require everyone who uses a mic to have to use office just to use a mic. Sorr to bother but I am just looking to see if there is another way to use my mic.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.