TechSpot

Microphone duplexing program?

By HaLo2FrEeEk
Oct 3, 2009
  1. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program for duplexing a microphone input. If you don't know what duplexing is, it's basically just taking the input stream and sending it back out, so you can hear what you're saying as you say it. I'm using a USB mic so I can't JUST use stereo mix, though I do end up using that.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a way to chat with a friend on skype, while having both his and my voice come out of my speakers, along with some music I might be playing. I figured out a way to do it using Voice Changer 6.0 Diamond, but it's debilitatingly complicated to set up. Here's what I have to do:

• Set my sound output to my sound card speakers and the input to the headset mic.
    • Open up Voice Changer and test it to make sure everything sounds ok coming out.
    • Change the sound input to Stereo Mix, which turns any sound output into an input.
    • Talk into the mic and make sure that my voice is still going through the Voice Changer program. Changing any settings will set the input in the program to Stereo Mix.
    • Open up Windows Media Player and turn the volume WAY down, like 5.
    • Open up a sound recording program and record a quick clip to make sure it all works right.

It took me a while to figure this out, but it works. I can effectively play my voice and any other sounds coming through my speakers as one single stream for recording or streaming live to sites like Stickam or Justin.tv. What this basically does is Voice Changer duplexes my voice, making everything I say come out my computer speakers, then I play some music and it also comes out of the speakers, but it has to be quiet enough that it won't drown out my voice. hen I can load up Skype and have my friend call me, I can use my Microphone as the input for Skype and it'll mix with my voice and the music.

Anywho, I just wanted to know if someone knew a simpler way, short of buying a non-USB mic. I don't have the money for that. If there's a program somewhere that will let me actually select which microphone I want to use as input and keep it that way, that would be great, perfect for what I need.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.