TechSpot

Microphone problems. Please help!!!

By kwicket
Jul 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

I have recently bought a Plantronics .Audio 310 PC headset. I cant seem to get the microphone on it working, I plugged it into the microphone jack at the back of the computer where the little microphone picture is but it didnt work. I got the headphone working by plugging it into the jack at the bottom of my screen (BENQ screen which has speakers at the bottom). I havnt been able to get the headphone working by plugging it in to the actual computer, only by plugging it into the screen/speakers.

I really need some help into how to get the microphone to work and what I should be plugging it into. I have a Nvidia sound card so it should work..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark.
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

Does your monitor also have a jack for mic? I'm guessing not.

Most all monitors which have speakers on them, and a jack, are just a "pass through" to your main input/output.
    In other words, you can use EITHER your monitor jack OR your PC jack. But not both at the same time unless you have a splitter.
    I'm guessing that for your monitor speakers to work, you have to plug the wire into your one jack on the PC?
    With that arrangement, you would have to plug your headphone into the monitor, and mic into the PC. But headsets usually don't split the two cords that far :)

And so, in as few words, you'll have to plug your headset, both wires, into your PC. Your headphones go in whatever plug your monitor is using now. And the mic goes in the (usually pink) mic jack, which you've already found.
    Any further problems are going to be the result of software configuration. Such as, volume of mic input, default input channel, recording device selected in control panel, and so on.
    Sometimes the default recording device becomes the modem somehow. So in control panel, in the audio panel, there is a tab or selecting the recording device, make sure it's your sound card. Then go into the advanced properties and in there, make sure the mic line is checked, and the volume is right.

Anyway, maybe that will get you started in the right direction :)

And welcome to Techspot!
  3. kwicket

kwicket TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx mate that was really helpful but in the bit I have quoted I cannot go into advanced settings because its greyed out and I cant click on it (im not to good with the technical jargon). Have no idea why this is so any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark.
  4. Vigilante

One of the advanced settings is fine to be greyed out. Here, I've put together a rather high-quality walk through of where you might go/check on things.
    Test the mic using the simple Sound Recorder which is in your start menu under Accessories - Entertainment. When you hit record and talk, you should see the wave form moving. If it's just solid line, there is no signal still.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

5. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 1,060

What are you going to use it for? If youre using it on MSN, try doing it through there. Also, maybe configure using "jack-sense".

Regards,

Korrupt
  6. kwicket

Thanks guys, I am really greatful for your help but still no luck! Have checked everything you have said and have tried it on msn...I got one of my mates who is quite handy with computers to have a look and he said everything was fine and it should be working. I am convinced the product is not faulty considering I bought it just 2 days ago. Is there anything else I could try that may work? Or am I just going to have to get it replaced?
  7. A-thru-Z

A-thru-Z TS Rookie Posts: 24

may sound silly but did you check that the mic wasn't muted in your nvidia control panel? Some audio control panels mute the mic by default...you should have volume, bass, treble, line in, mic etc...try clicking the speaker icon by your mic...see if that works?
  8. kwicket

I hate to say it but that isnt the problem..I must have checked that about 10 times now and have now just checked it again and the same thing, nothing is muted and everything should be working smoothly but still no microphone.
  9. Vigilante

Can't really rule out a bad mic though. Some of those are rather cheap on those headsets.

If there is a way to test the mic on another system, or try a known-good mic on yours, I would try that next. You may be chasing your tail here.
    And I suppose your headset doesn't have a tiny switch or button to enable/disable or mute the mic? Some do.
  10. kwicket

Ok I will try and get another mic and try that. Na no switch, oh well! I'll let you know how things go.

Edit: Have just tried my friends microphone (which obviously works on their comp) and it didnt work! What do I do from here? Is there any way to fix this?
  11. Vigilante

Well I'm out of ideas, I'd have to be sitting in front of it to see. You might just have to break down and take it to a shop. I'm thinking there is some funky audio utility screwing it up, or some kind of filter set, or maybe it just needs the driver removed and reloaded?

In any case, if someone else stumbles on the solution, or you take it to a shop, please do post what the fix was, I'm curious.

Good luck

12. kwicket

Thanx for the help mate, it definately isnt the driver as i uninstalled then reinstalled it, then i installed a completely different driver and no luck. I have pulled the comp apart and taken a look (im not computer expert so no idea what i was doing) and to my best knowledge there didnt seem to be anything wrong. I'm going to take it into the shop next week to have it checked, hopefully they can sort it out and I'll get back to you with what happened.

Thanks mate, much appreciated!
  13. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

What motherboard do you have?

edit

Oh you have a soundcard, does it come with any programs? Like...Soundman?
  14. Helixeagle

Helixeagle TS Rookie Posts: 36

Hang on this may sound silly, but do you have on board sound as well as a sound card? now i say this because countless times have i plugged my mic into the onboard just to relised that its disabled in the bios and im using sound card instead.

What i am asking in simpler terms is... have you plugged it in the right mic slot? as if you have onboard (thats only IF you do) it might need to be plugged into the soundcard... or visa versa

EDIT: If your not sure what i mean, check the back of your pc to see if there are any other slots the mic could go in.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.