TechSpot

Microsoft’s energy monitoring tool Hohm enters public beta

By Jos
Jul 7, 2009
  1. Hohm was announced in late June as an incubator project within Microsoft to help users manage and track their home energy use, and potentially modify their habits in order to save money. The service is free to use, supported by advertising, but it wasn’t until today that the Redmond-based company opened the doors on Hohm to the general public – or at least to those living in the U.S.

Read the whole story

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Wonder if it will work like Windows ME, or more like VISTA

3. JDoors

JDoors TS Rookie Posts: 62

Tried it. It asks a ba-jillion questions about your home and energy use, but nothing about your lifestyle or HOW you use energy in your home. Hence, I got some poor ratings for things like the use of many incandescent bulbs. All my incandescents are on dimmers and I rarely use the full setting, for some fixtures I almost never do. I wound up with a recommendation to "save" by switching to CFL's, yet my energy costs are already WAY lower than the "average" home.

I guess that's part of the problem, getting people to pay for expensive energy upgrades that will not, can not pay off, at least financially, in the long run. Upgrade my refrigerator? Really? And it'll take TEN YEARS to save any money? Yeah. I'm not doin' that.

4. geechiesway

geechiesway TS Rookie

Switching to CFL light bulbs will definitely save you money in the long run...that's much less drastic than the refrigerator; which is way more expensive than some light bulbs. Gotta pitch in for the environment where you can

5. JDoors

JDoors TS Rookie Posts: 62

That last statement is what a lot of this is about. Pitchin' in. Doing your part. Saving the planet. NOT, however, actually saving money. A ten-year payoff doesn't take into consideration what you COULD have been doing with all the money you "invested" in high-cost products up front.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against energy efficiency. It's ridiculous that we're still using products like incandescent bulbs that are at best 10% efficient.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.