Microsoft: 1 out of every 14 downloaded programs is malware

By Emil
May 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has revealed that 1 out of every 14 downloaded programs is later confirmed as malware. The data comes from the software giant's SmartScreen Filter team.

SmartScreen Filter was originally…

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Mmhmm. Well I think 95% of those malware downloads come from less than 1% of users. Even my oblivious grandmother doesn't get viruses.
  3. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

4. Well it's obvious isn't it, people who use IE do so 'cause they're too PC-illiterate to download a decent browser.
    People how are that PC-illiterate will download any old shish 'cause they're too fool to know how to browse safely.
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

Sites like techspot use 'other' sources to scoop up stories, so I don't see any issue with this, don't expect them have huge budgets / tech. reporters running around to get stories out in the field, that is just not realistic nor possible. What they intend to do is put some perspective in the emerging stories for all of us.
  6. They assume that if you get the warning that the download is malware when in fact it's just that it may have a bad reputation from Microsoft. Try downloading WinSCP and you will get this warning however the software is good and used by many. In general I'm sure the warnings are a good idea even if not always accurate.
  7. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,318   +262

What? We're talking about user initialized downloading of software, not visiting sites with viruses/automatic malware installs. The b asis of your comment more or less has nothing to do with the article and is inflammitory. Though, I use Firefox as my main browser and IE as my secondary anyways, AND I myself blame the user for their actions far before the software they use, so why do I care? =p )
  8. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Yes, thus Microsoft know almost every url you visit with these phishing filters on.
  9. Archean

Yes tony, exactly in the similar way as Google know about your 'online indulgences' through chrome.
  10. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Addict Posts: 226   +50

err this comment makes no sense and isnt really relevant to the article. Guess you just wanted to show how big and cleer you are . It didnt work and had the opposite affect.
  11. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 131

My mom has gotten two viruses in the past two months, and my room mate got one earlier today which he has been discribing as "REALLY ADVANCED". I haven't gotten a virus since...2005? Maybe 2004? I don't know how people manage to get viruses so frequently.
  12. Archean

Most people get them by being 'ignorant' , remaining ones get them because they don't know or just 'clickaholics'.