100GB of OneDrive space to Dropbox users, offer applies worldwide

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: Microsoft has provided us with a bit more information on the promotions which clears up some of the misinformation out there. The Dropbox promotion is limited to the US only, as is the Bing Rewards promotion. What's more, I've been told that users can indeed take advantage of both the Dropbox promotion and the Bing Rewards promotion concurrently.

Original story follows below:

Dropbox users in the market for additional cloud storage without having to actually pay for it can take advantage of a new promotion from competitor Microsoft. Here’s everything you need to know.

Those with an existing Dropbox account can navigate to the offer page to create a OneDrive account. From there, all you need to do is verify your Dropbox account by logging in and saving a document to the service. It’s really that simple.

The deal rewards users with 100GB of OneDrive space free of charge for a full year.

microsoft 100gb onedrive dropbox free bing cloud bing rewards

Microsoft launched a similar promotion last week in which users willing to sign up for Bing Rewards could score 100GB of space completely free for two years. Unfortunately, that offer was limited to US residents but that has since changed.

The Bing Rewards promotion is now open to residents worldwide. As a refresher, all you need to do is create a Microsoft account if you don’t already have one then agree to sign up for Bing Rewards. Just like before, you’ll get 100GB of OneDrive space free for two years.

I haven’t yet tried to take advantage of both offers -- at the same time -- so I’m unsure if one could double dip (let us know in the comments below if you can or can’t based on your experience). I can’t think of a reason why you shouldn’t be able to redeem both, however as they are two totally different promotions that just happen to offer the same type of reward.

As before, Microsoft is hoping that newcomers will find OneDrive useful enough over the course of their free trial that they are willing to pay for the service once it expires.

Permalink to story.

I got my 100GB for 100 bing rewards points back in March of last year. Not sure what is going to happen when that ends... I have ~25GB of photos on it. Maybe the dropbox thing will still be effective when it comes time for me to renew.

I wouldn't store my data on microsoft servers if they paid me to, snoops.
and windows 10 will come with backdoors, like it always does hmm

I don't care for limited time offers. If taking advantage of them means I'll have to pay in the future, what's the point?

EVERY cloud service snoops and EVERY OS has back doors. Your HDD might be snooping on you.

Yes, I agree with you. Just chirping in there for the gullibles that like to encourage that kind o' thing without realising. Reminders can't be too bad in the current climate.

But yeah it automatically scans documents you put on onedrive in a ton of different ways, mining location data, text, tagging photos of things and people etc. A quick search turned up this : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876...r-intelligent-searching-of-document-text.html

Or theres the shocked redditor (http://redd.it/2ulwpd) finding out that onedrive had gone through 12 years of his photos and could recognise people he had never tagged. Interesting stuff.

I get the paranoia @Runt1me, but I'm still content with my photos being up there. I don't have a family of my own, 99.9% of my pictures are of nature or sports events. So tagging of friends/family is worthless since they simply aren't in my pictures.

A couple years ago I had a big scare with losing ~20 gigs of pictures, I always keep them on 2 physical hard drives. I thought I had a backup on a different drive, formatted the drive, and then couldn't find my pictures on another drive. Eventually I did find the other drive they were on (I have way too many HDDs), but it sucked for a while when I thought I lost all of those. Now I have them on 2 physical drives, 1 BD-R (that I need to update), and OneDrive.

Thanks, TechSpot. I have claimed 300GB of free storage in two weeks! (200GB of it for 2 years) Can't beat that.

EVERY cloud service snoops and EVERY OS has back doors. Your HDD might be snooping on you.

Microsoft's OneDrive for Business - a part of Office365 for Business is HIPAA compliant. It is the only one with security which complies with privacy laws for medical patients.

The data in OneDrive for Business is encrypted. And the key for the encryption is kept by the business, not Microsoft. So even if the government asks for the data, Microsoft cannot help them decrypt it.

In contrast, DropBox is completely insecure.

Microsoft's OneDrive for Business - a part of Office365 for Business is HIPAA compliant. It is the only one with security which complies with privacy laws for medical patients.

The data in OneDrive for Business is encrypted. And the key for the encryption is kept by the business, not Microsoft. So even if the government asks for the data, Microsoft cannot help them decrypt it.

Note that the security and privacy for OneDrive for Business and Office365 for Business does not apply to OneDrive for consumers and Office365 for consumers.

Complete BUNK. Do you get paid for this?
Theyre all required to make the clients data available to the government whenever requested, which is why they are pissed off at MEGA. Microsoft is not secure, never will be. What a joke.

No, there is no contrast, because onedrive/microsoft is completely insecure.

Back