Microsoft accidentally reveals the Lumia 950 and 950 XL a week early

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has accidentally listed two upcoming Lumia devices on the Microsoft Store ahead of their launch next week, revealing their official design and specifications way too early.

The Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL have already been leaked extensively over the past few months, but their listing in the Microsoft Store confirms many of the details that were previously rumored, including their names. These devices will be the first to launch with Windows 10 Mobile on-board, with both expected to support the operating system's full feature set.

Both devices feature 1440p displays: 5.2-inches on the Lumia 950, and 5.7-inches on the Lumia 950 XL. We're also looking at 20-megapixel optically stabilized cameras on both handsets with Zeiss f/1.9 optics, as well as 5-megapixel front cameras, 32 GB of expandable storage, 3 GB of RAM, Qi wireless charging, USB Type-C, iris scanners, and removable batteries.

The Microsoft Lumia 950, courtesy of an image captured by Windows Central

The two devices differ in SoC: the Lumia 950 gets Qualcomm's Snapdragon 808, while the larger 950 XL gets the Snapdragon 810. We're also looking at different battery capacities, with the 950 featuring a 3,000 mAh battery, and the 950 XL a 3,300 mAh battery.

The design of both handsets looks pretty plain, judging by the renders posted to the Microsoft Store, but we'll reserve final judgment on their polycarbonate bodies until we see the devices in the flesh.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

Considering we now know pretty much everything about the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, we're only waiting to hear what these devices will cost and when they'll go on sale. Expect to hear these details, along with information on a Surface Pro 4 and Band 2, at Microsoft's hardware-focused event on October 6th.

Permalink to story.

These things are everything the 2015 nexus phones should have been. SD card slots, removable batteries, wireless charging. Can't wait for the 950xl to launch, hope the unlocked version runs on t mobile.

Yes, the specs do look enticing...but then I read MS 10 OS :s
I had actually tried a Lumia 225 last year (or was it 2 years ago now) and was excited thinking that I could sync my Office Outlook (contact/calendar/mail), but found out that you can't sync them directly with the computer the way you used to back in the day. Now you have to first sync everything with a MS account and then it syncs it to the phone/computer.
Oh and there is no file manager, so if you ever transfer a file that the phone can't read, it will be lost for eternity.

Other than that, good phone.

I had actually tried a Lumia 225 last year (or was it 2 years ago now) and was excited thinking that I could sync my Office Outlook (contact/calendar/mail), but found out that you can't sync them directly with the computer the way you used to back in the day. Now you have to first sync everything with a MS account and then it syncs it to the phone/computer.
Oh and there is no file manager, so if you ever transfer a file that the phone can't read, it will be lost for eternity.

You've clearly not used the preview version of windows mobile 10 then? Everything you've listed as a negative for 8.1 is something 10 can do and far more. I still think you might need a Microsoft account, but as far as I can recall you can simply sign up with any existing mail address you might have already, so you aren't forced to create a new one just to have a Microsoft account, and use that. Besides, Google does it, and so does Apple, so why would you think Microsoft would be any different? Cloud is the future I'm afraid, cant get away from that.
The design of both handsets looks pretty plain...
This is a functional, good looking phone and while its styling is more subdued it is far from ugly, so if you want a fashion accessory to match your shoes, then get an iPhone.

Last edited:
Snapdragon 810, red flag.
What's wrong with the snapdragon 810? it's fast enough to remain competitive for another 2 year. It's not like smartphones do anything that demanding. On android where things are poorly optimized after installing tons of apps, then certainly it isn't fast enough. On windows phone where its designed around resource management the 810 is a very snappy processor

What's wrong with the snapdragon 810? it's fast enough to remain competitive for another 2 year. It's not like smartphones do anything that demanding. On android where things are poorly optimized after installing tons of apps, then certainly it isn't fast enough. On windows phone where its designed around resource management the 810 is a very snappy processor
I just remember this article: https://www.techspot.com/news/60477-independent-testing-confirms-snapdragon-810-soc-runs-hot.html

The lowest the Lumia line has ever gone is 435. As for file management, there has been a File Explorer app since WP 8.1. Sync'ing through the cloud is some how more work than syncing through a USB dock and Active Sync from the Windows Mobile 6.x days?

Only just noticed the time and date displayed on the devices is 9:50 and 6 October.

I still think these are a solid offering by any measure, and easily hold up to the latest and greatest of its competitors. Like I said, it is a functional design that's far from ugly. I personally wouldn't want anything so intricate I'd be afraid to take it out of its cover for fear of damage and spending a whole bunch extra on armoured cases and screen protectors and scratch warrentees, etc., etc., etc.. I want to use the damn thing, not admire it from afar as a piece of art.

Anyone want to take a stab at a question?

I have been an Android user for years. I use quite a lot of android apps.

With a Windows phone, how much Android stuff would I lose out on? What major apps and services aren't available on Windows phone 10 os?

With a Windows phone, how much Android stuff would I lose out on? What major apps and services aren't available on Windows phone 10 os?
Not answerable without you telling us what apps you are concerned about.

Fair enough.

These are the first party android apps I use often:

Google Maps
Gmail
Android Pay
Google Wallet
Google Search
Google Play Music
Youtube
Google Now
Google Keep
Chromecast
Google Drive (docs, sheets, etc)
Hangouts

The third party apps I use often on Android
Sunrise (I know that microsoft bought this app recently)
Any.do
Asana
Evernote
Zillow
NFL Fantasy Football
Reddit is fun
Facebook messenger
Spotify
Pandora
Pocketcasts
QuickPic
Seconds Pro (Timer App)
Pushbullet
Swiftkey Keyboard
Chase Banking App
Mint
Barcode Scanner by Manatee Works
Amazon
Paychex
Slack

My co-worker and I were discussing this earlier today actually. We're both pretty deep into the Android eco-system and up-rooting to a Windows tablet or phone would be a rather drastic change. Probably.

Of this list, these are probably the most important to me:
Google Maps
Gmail
Evernote
Google Search (screw bing)
Chromecast
Spotify
Pocketcasts
Pushbullet
Chase
Mint
Reddit is fun

It's interesting to think about a switch to Microsoft OS. Realistically I have a lot more faith in Android operating system. Not to mention, everything is going to come out on Android first then later to Microsoft. So you'd have to wait for a lot of stuff to come out.

I know you could find replacements for a lot of apps, but replacements aren't always as good as the real deal.

Is there a compelling reason to switch to Microsoft OS? And what do you lose out on when switching from Android or even iphone?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/windows-phone
Look here. It doesn't have everything that iOS and Android has, but I found that I don't need 1,000 apps.

Both of these look great, as a long time WP user.......but I'm still in love with my 1020 :( I'll hold out for now......

Fair enough.

Google Maps
My co-worker and I were discussing this earlier today actually. We're both pretty deep into the Android eco-system and up-rooting to a Windows tablet or phone would be a rather drastic change. Probably.

Google Maps
Gmail
Evernote
Chromecast
Spotify
Pocketcasts
Pushbullet
Chase
Mint
Reddit is fun

It's interesting to think about a switch to Microsoft OS. Realistically I have a lot more faith in Android operating system. Not to mention, everything is going to come out on Android first then later to Microsoft. So you'd have to wait for a lot of stuff to come out.

I know you could find replacements for a lot of apps, but replacements aren't always as good as the real deal.

Is there a compelling reason to switch to Microsoft OS? And what do you lose out on when switching from Android or even iphone?
As far as I can recall Microsoft said that there may be case that you could install, and run the Android apps directly on the windows device. Of course there is bound to be some apps that may experience some incompatibility, such as the ones depending on core Android functions, or services, but for the most part I believe there end goal is to have most Android apps work out the box. If this holds true, and they are able to execute this effectively, then the app gap would be a thing of the past, and with Microsoft's universal app solution they allow a developer to port over any app that does not work with minimal code changes to use the Microsoft equivalent services to make it work again.

The lowest the Lumia line has ever gone is 435. As for file management, there has been a File Explorer app since WP 8.1. Sync'ing through the cloud is some how more work than syncing through a USB dock and Active Sync from the Windows Mobile 6.x days?
I thought the same thing about the Lumia but it seems a Nokia 225 does exist and came out in 2014 but it has a 2.8 inch screen and 240 x 320 resolution. I do not think it is a good first choice for any smartphone let alone a Windows Phone, I can see how people can think it was a Lumia. Here is a link to the Microsoft page about it https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/225/ everything about it says emerging market to me.

I just remember this article: https://www.techspot.com/news/60477-independent-testing-confirms-snapdragon-810-soc-runs-hot.html

Hmm. I've since heard that they have implemented a fix for this, though I really hope it doesn't affect performance. 920 has heating problems, and I don't want them to repeat the same mistakes again. Regardless, I am excited!

Also....

I couldn't help but notice your anthropomorphic profile picture. Are you also a furry?

Fair enough.

Google Maps
Gmail
Android Pay
Google Wallet
Google Search
Google Play Music
Youtube
Google Now
Google Keep
Chromecast
Google Drive (docs, sheets, etc)
Hangouts

The third party apps I use often on Android
Sunrise (I know that microsoft bought this app recently)
Any.do
Asana
Evernote
Zillow
NFL Fantasy Football
Reddit is fun
Facebook messenger
Spotify
Pandora
Pocketcasts
QuickPic
Seconds Pro (Timer App)
Pushbullet
Swiftkey Keyboard
Chase Banking App
Mint
Barcode Scanner by Manatee Works
Amazon
Paychex
Slack

Google Maps
Gmail
Evernote
Chromecast
Spotify
Pocketcasts
Pushbullet
Chase
Mint
Reddit is fun

I've been on all three platforms. Honestly, WP app thing isn't the end of the world. It has a great chunk of apps like mint, and Readit (reddit client way better than AB or Sync), and some other nice ones . W10 is bringing universal apps, and you can sideload android apps anyway. I'd wait and see on WM10, that is just my 2¢.

Hmm. I've since heard that they have implemented a fix for this, though I really hope it doesn't affect performance. 920 has heating problems, and I don't want them to repeat the same mistakes again. Regardless, I am excited!

Also....

I couldn't help but notice your anthropomorphic profile picture. Are you also a furry?
no, I'm not a furry and if you are you need to seek help immediately.

I'm getting the xl for sure. I like Microsoft phones. I just hope the screen doesn't crack easily like the others.

I personally cringe at the notion of spending so much money on a phone, and went with what I judged as the best bang for the buck (BLU Win HD LTE, less than no regrets), these new models are what I'm pushing at those in my life who are trapped in iPhone enslavement ala cart leading the horse psychology. It has the teeth to get their attention, and a simple reminder that just because they buy one doesn't mean they need to retire their old one, in fact they will use them in tandem. From that perspective one can observe how little sense it makes to keep upgrading the hardware on the same platform over and over, while neglecting the opportunity to exploit the options of others.

Back